• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Local authority and a charge on jointly owned property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local authority and a charge on jointly owned property

My mum and I are joint tenants of a property which has been rented out for approximately 16 years. Since my mum's severe stroke 12 years ago, all rental income has gone towards paying her care costs. For the last few years the local council has been making up the rest, as all her savings and the proceeds of the other house (that she had lived in) have gone to her care, so she now has considerable debt in deferred charges. The rental now goes to the council as part payment.

When the council took over they mentioned putting a charge on the house to recoup their money. However this had not been done. Are they able to do this without my permission? I've registered with the land agency so that I am informed of any action taken with regard to the property (which isn't mortgaged).

Obviously as I've had no income from the property, my mum and I understood that instead, I would benefit on her death from automatically becoming the full owner of the property with the financial gain being my mum's half. Can the council take that half on her death by putting a charge on it without my permission?

In the interests of clarity, the rental house was purchased in both our names (and that of my late husband) when my mum was very fit and well, as a joint venture.
    Tags: None

If a property is owned as joint tenants a charging order against one tenant severs the beneficial joint tenancy between owners. From the date of the charging order, the property is held by the owners as tenants in common (50/50 share)
    The charging order doesn't directly force the sale of the property but may allow the chargee to recover money owed when the property is sold

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X