• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gift from both parents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift from both parents

Both parents are making a gift of £100,000 to their child to purchase a property.

Do the parents have to state the quantity each of them is giving and does this mean that inheritance tax will have to be paid if one of them dies within seven years?

Having to assign an amount to each seems like a big risk, having to gamble which parent is most likely to die within seven years.

Tags: None

Is the money they are giving jointly owned at the moment?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Clearly there is the potential for an Inheritance Tax liability.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes the money is jointly owned at the moment and would be paid from a shared bank account in both names. Would the solicitors demand a declaration of who is giving how much?

Comment

I don't know the answer and from a quick look online it seems this is a complex area to which there is no straightforward answer. This article, from a reputable source, points to some of the issues. Does the seven-year rule apply to jointly gifted assets? - Investors' Chronicle (investorschronicle.co.uk)

As it's a substantial sum of money you might want to get some professional advice in respect of your specific situation.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Would love to read that article but it is behind a paywall unfortunately. I am in a similar situation so keenly following this thread

Comment

Hmm, odd as it wasn't for me when I first read it but now it's gone behind a paywall for me too.

EDIT Now here's a mystery islandgirl . The article came up near the top of a google search for 'joint gift inheritance tax'. If I click it from the google search results no paywall! I only get a paywall if I put its URL directly into my browser. So I've gone back into my google search and got the non-paywalled copy and downloaded it as a pdf. Hopefully you can open this OK.

Joint gift IHT .pdf
              Last edited by PallasAthena; 11th June 2023, 13:23:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X