• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Will and death of executor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will and death of executor

Hi I’m wondering if anyone can give me advise

my mother had a will with me and my two sister as the house has to be dived between her 3 daughters when she died. One daughter died 8 weeks before my mother and know my nieces and nephews are trying to say they are untitled to their mums share of the house which was not stipulated in the will. If my sister died surely she becomes exempt unless otherwise stated. Does anyone know if this is correct.
    Tags: None

The will needs to be studied, but the likelihood is that the gift passes on per stirpes.

Why do you want to disinherit your late sister's children? Is this what your mother would have wanted?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes. My mother wanted it between me and my remaining sister and her grandchildren knew that. They have their fathers estate to come. My mother wanted to know her remaining children were secure. Not her grandchildren, they have their father for that.

Comment

You may be right, but that is not what she said when she was asked what she wanted to happen on her death.

Comment

Originally posted by michellestarrett View Post
          Yes. My mother wanted it between me and my remaining sister and her grandchildren knew that. They have their fathers estate to come. My mother wanted to know her remaining children were secure. Not her grandchildren, they have their father for that.
          Sorry to hear that your mother and sister died so close together.

My experience of this is what you have been advised by others, it's likely that your late sister's share passes to her children That happens under general rules in the law of inheritance not because it is written into the will. You'd need to look at the whole will to be certain.

It would have been possible for your mother to write her will in such a way that your late sister's share was divided between you and your surviving sister and didn't go to your neice and nephew but from what you say it appears your mother did not do that.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply. No my mother never did that she told us verbally. We all knew as my niece asked my mother and my mother said no it’s for her daughters. My nieces told me my mother told her it was up to me and my sister if we want to give her a share as it’s theirs. So they knew yes.

Comment

The problem you have though michellestarrett is that it appears that isn't what your mother wrote in her Will. What she wrote in her Will is what, legally, has to happen (but see comment below about deeds of variation). It's irrelevant that you believe she intended that your nieces should get nothing. If those intentions aren't in her Will the Executors have to follow what the Will says. Otherwise the nieces can sue the Executors for what the Will says they should get.

But this advice to you is based on what you told us last June about the Will. We haven't seen the Will and don't know exactly what it says. So I recommend the first thing you do is see a solicitor and get them to confirm what your neices are entitled to under the Will. Don't rely on advice on this forum. (I am assuming you are an Executor - it is the Executor(s) who need to get the legal advice).

There is a procedure for changing a Will after someone has died. It's called a Deed of Variation. Look it up online, there's lots of legal sites that explain it. But, and this a big BUT, the Will could only be changed by a Deed of Variation if your nieces voluntarily agreed to give up the legacy they are entitled to under the Will so that you and your sister can have it instead. Are they likely to agree to that? They can't be forced to give up their legacy.

What has happened since your last post in June? You went silent for 10 months. What has been done during that period about your mother's Estate?
              Last edited by PallasAthena; 6th April 2024, 17:38:PM.
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Wel the estate is just being finalised now. All I can do is ask my nieces as my mother told them to their faces it was for her daughters. I was the only daughter not secure ie don’t own my house yet and they know my mother wanted me to either pay off my house or live in her house until my mortgage was paid off. I will try and ask them once their know that the house has to be split 3 ways. The will was hand written and never looked at by a solicitor and my mother did t know she’d done it wrong.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X