• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem with neighbour’s disabled grandchild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with neighbour’s disabled grandchild

I should first of all say that my husband and I are both pensioners who are disabled; I am also being treated for cancer and my health is very fragile.

Our neighbour has two grandchildren who are severely autistic. Omen of them is verbal, the other one now. We don’t see the non-verbal one, only his verbal brother, who seems to be spending more and more time at his grandmother’s house, which adjoins ours, being semi-detached.

The problem is this. The grandson who spends a lot of time with his grandmother is becoming more and more destructive. He’s pulled up most of his grandmother’s plants, and now we fear he’s trying to get into our garden, presumably to do the same here.

i should explain that for the past few years the grandson (now aged about 14), has habitually thrown various things over the fence; these could be plastic toys, but also heavier objects, such as a big glass ashtray, some branches off a tree, and, worryingly, some stones wrapped in fancy paper. My husband has a large carrier bag full of items the boy has thrown over.

All this has concerned us because stones go in our pond, which has fish in it; also we are concerned about the possibility of missiles coming over the fence and injuring one of us. Our next door neighbour is aware of these concerns and the grandson has not thrown anything just recently. However, there remains the possibility of the behaviour recurring

Our greatest concern is that this boy is trying to get into our garden. We know he has been over here in the past, because our neighbour has told us; however no damage was done, except that we suspect that he dropped a large stone in our pond, cracking the fibreglass structure. No one else could have done it!

During the last few days, this boy has twice attempted to get into our garden by leaning on the fence in an attempt to collapse it. My husband challenged him and he desisted. The next day he did the same thing, but this time his grandmother stopped him.

We are growing more and more concerned about this situation, because this boy seems to be out of control, and we know how destructive he can be. He seems to be left out in his grandmother’s garden on his own for long periods without supervision.

We understand that to a large extent his behaviour is out of his control, and we do sympathise with him, and his family, who all have a difficult situation to contend with. However, we are now fearful that, given his recent attempts to get into our garden, he could succeed in damaging our fence; if he manages to get over, that he could be as destructive in our garden as he has been in his grandmother’s.

We are constantly aware of his presence next door, because, although he does speak, and is very clear when he does, most of the time he makes loud moaning noises, which my husband finds very distressing, as it goes on for hours.

The last thing we want to do is create problems for this lad. But we are finding the situation very stressful. What we would like to know is: is there any authority to which we can report this situation, in case something happens?
    Tags: None

Talk to them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X