• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex has left possession at my property - what to do with them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex has left possession at my property - what to do with them?

Hi,

Posting this on behalf of a friend who requires some advice:-

Friend was dating someone for approx. 18 months (this person moved into the property owned by the friend) mid November 2022, the ex visited their original home and from there decided not to return and end the relationship. Following this, there is a significant amount of possessions left at the friends property, the friend has requested the ex to come and collect and this has not been done. It is now February and there has been no communication since mid November about arranging collection of the items. My friend wants to issue a notice to the ex and give a deadline as to when the items need to be collect by, failing to do so they will dispose of the items. (There is also a passport, so I have suggested this is handed in properly and do not throw away.) Question: can a notice be given to the ex with a deadline to come and collect at a time and date? any consequence for disposing of the items and not being liable for a claim down the line? any advice to bring this to a swift resolution?

Thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Have you researched the Torts (interference with Goods) Act 1977, and the notices that can be given under it?

Why not send the passport back using recorded delivery?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Have you researched the Torts (interference with Goods) Act 1977, and the notices that can be given under it?

Why not send the passport back using recorded delivery?
      Thanks - I was considering use of section 12 of that act but was not certain of its application given that no sale will take place? Section 12(1)(c) i think provides a bit more coverage?. The aim is to absolve any liability essentially, the person has had sufficient time and opportunity to do the right think as reasonably can be expected but has failed to do so.

Comment

Passport - address not known so i suggested handing in to local police station rather and treating it as lost item

Comment

How are you proposing to give notices, given that the address is not known?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

the proposal is to send the notice via email with a request for acknowledgement to the satisfy that the notice was received and read. If no acknowledgment is forthcoming i think we'll have to explore options again at that point?

Comment

Having supervised trainee solicitors, and now law students, for many years, my answer would always be to enquire whether the trainee or student thinks he/she has completed their research, and to ask what they recommend and why.

Comment

https://assets.publishing.service.go...290317-EXT.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X