• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wales: MS (Member of Senedd) will not assist with CAFCASS Cymru enquiry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wales: MS (Member of Senedd) will not assist with CAFCASS Cymru enquiry

This is more of a general politics question for anyone more familiar with Welsh government...

My understanding is that CAFCASS Cymru is a separate organisation from CAFCASS, and is part of the Welsh Government: https://gov.wales/cafcass-cymru
    I can see that MPs have assisted with CAFCASS many times over the years: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ass_complaints

When I first contacted my MS (Wales) about CAFCASS Cymru, the suggestion was that CAFCASS had to have done something wrong before the MS would help.
    So, I went and got that in the form of a judgment by the ICO that CAFCASS had not handled my data properly, that my case against CAFCASS had been upheld, and that CAFCASS had 28 days to respond.

I then forwarded a copy of the judgment to my MS, along with my matter of complaint, and asked them to assist. I've just received this reply:

I have reached the end of the road with how I can help you and my office has been clear that we are not able to take on casework of a legal nature. I appreciate that that solicitors can be expensive and so I suggest you take some advice from citizens advice and/or the organisations which I have previously provided you with the details of.
    I repeat again that there’s no further support that my office or I can provide.
    This is surprising because I never asked them to take on casework of a legal nature.
    And I must stress, I was NOT asking the MS to change, overturn or intervene in a court judgment, but to assist in the matter of refusal to access of data, and their breaches in data handling for which the ICO had found against CAFCASS Cymru.
    And I do not see how it can be "the end of the road", because that phrase suggests multiple previous discussions about CAFCASS.
    It was a case of: "Can you help?" "Yes, if they've done something wrong". "OK, they've done something wrong". "Sorry, we can't help". Weird.

This MS seems to have a bit of a reputation for being lazy and passing the buck. Before I decide the next step, is this something he SHOULD have assisted with?
    Tags: None

I don't know the answer I am sorry, but it does sound fishy and like they had no intention of helping in the first place, I am just sorry that this has happened to you, has it yet been resolved?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X