• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I've left the house, should I still be contributing to mortgage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've left the house, should I still be contributing to mortgage?

Hi there

I've recently separated from my partner, and the house (where we have a joint mortgage) is on the market. I moved back to my parents with our child, and ex has remained in the property with their child (who was my step-child). Should I still be contributing to mortgage? Ex-partner believes I should be so that once the house has sold we split the profit down the middle. However, the separation has left me in a position where financially this is very difficult. Ex-partner is only having our child approx 20% of the time (3 nights out of 14) meaning my ability to work is highly restricted. They pay maintenance, but this is less than my mortgage payment. I am currently residing with parents however I will need to contribute to bills here too and need to find somewhere to move to but I am left stuck both physically and financially until the house sells, and despite the current market this seems to be taking a long time (has been on the market for 2-3 months).

Looking for advice, please feel free to ask further questions.
    Tags: None

I'm not sure. However, it does make it established it is 50% 50% from any sale. Push for a quicker sale.

Comment

If you have a joint mortgage, surely you are joint owners. If you cease paying, there will be a consequential effect somewhere.

Do you know why the house is not selling? Is it overpriced? Have you sought advice from the selling agent?

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
        If you have a joint mortgage, surely you are joint owners. If you cease paying, there will be a consequential effect somewhere.

Do you know why the house is not selling? Is it overpriced? Have you sought advice from the selling agent?
        Not sure why it's not selling, agent seems to think it's not overpriced and that it should sell soon.. but it has been up for far too long already.

I had to leave the house after the relationship broke down as I couldn't be around him anymore for various reasons, however I didn't think it would take this long to sell the house, and I'm going to struggle to pay the amount needed because he won't even have his child a reasonable amount so I can actually work.

Where do I stand with requesting to go interest only on the mortgage?

Comment

change agent I did and house sold within a week the other agent 5 months no viewing

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
            change agent I did and house sold within a week the other agent 5 months no viewing
            did you have to reduce the price or make any other changes?

Comment

Requesting to change the mortgage to interest only will be between you, the other owner, and the lender. At the very least the lender will want to know how you plan to repay the capital.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If changing agent make sure you terminate the existing agency - and before doing so read the agency agreement that you should have signed, so as to understand your potential liability.

Comment

Originally posted by KRIS17 View Post

did you have to reduce the price or make any other changes?
                  negotiation took place yes quite a bit due to over priced by 1st agent after investigation amongst other agents dropped £30, 000, fell in line with other sold same properties. as was said advertise cost all you want but a buyers market at the time, the point proved correct we moved out within 5 weeks from start to finish and move into another area property at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by dygreencard
                    My opinion is that your ex can pay the mortgage by himself since it is the mortgage that must be paid, not who paid it. But if you want proper advice, you should speak with a lawyer.
                    solicitor speak to

Comment

The original debt is a shared liability. Be careful to keep a proper record of who pays what, but the OP is still liable and should pay.
                      Get it sold.

Comment

Good advice from Experienced members, there is always a simple reason why a sale is not achieved, think about it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. The house sold recently, waiting for completion and have still been contributing.

Comment

The ideal scenario would be for both of you to cohabitate the house until it is sold while making equal contributions to the mortgage payments.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X