• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ordered to sell, but found a clause to get order changed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered to sell, but found a clause to get order changed!

I was ordered to sell the family home by a judge.. I went to umpteen solicitors (at £120 a pop) and even came on here for advice.
    I wanted to share my experience, incase it can help someone else..
    I wanted to buy out my ex husband - he wanted the house sold - judge ordered me to sell it

I then refused to put it on the market, as I was in a position to buy the house myself - why couldn't I be the buyer and save on estate agent fees etc
    I had the house independently valued at least 3 times and allowed my ex to do the same, so we could get an average value.
    My ex wanted the market to determine the value and not the agents and insisted it went on sale... I continued to refuse..
    He took me to enforcement stage in court - judges hands were tied, as an order had been made - I apparently had to sell it - I had 2 kids aged 11 & 12 at the time aswell !! I still refused..
    Eventually a final hearing - the judge was going to force me once and for all, but I discovered a clause in my original order which meant the judge had the power to CHANGE the original order!
    No other judge, no solicitor, no barrister - nobody had noticed this before until I myself did at the last hurdle..
    This clause is called EX TEMPORE - It was written on the original order.

It means that an order which has been previously made and is written 'ex tempore' and where the SAME case returns to court.. the Judge has the power to make a different order if would provide a better outcome and therefore is allowed to change it.

So.… order CHANGED to force my ex to sell the house directly to me..
    That was a year ago... what a longggggg and stressful time that was (3 years it took) and all along the Judge could have changed that order!
    Tags: None

Life is a learning curve, in other words we live and learn, and by your experience others learn.

Comment

Never heard that interpretation of ex tempore previously

Comment

Seemingly neither had the various solicitors either and not even the enforcement judge noticed it!
        it was me who noticed it, researched it and used it to get my order changed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X