• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

court case and complaint about social workers - can anyone advise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• court case and complaint about social workers - can anyone advise?

I'll try to keep it brief. Thank you in advance for reading...
    historically we applied to the family court for contact with grandchildren - court appointed the local authority social workers to undertake the Section 7 report (instead of cafcass). We had a terrible relationship with the LA due to the fact that 1. I was an employee who had fallen out with my manager previously, who was still the manager of the very team undertaking the s7 , & 2. they didn't support us or or our grandchildren whilst they were staying with us due to mothers mental health and drug use. Court didn't care about the circumstances of who was writing the report we did raise it with them.

The LA social workers presented incorrect information about us, including abuse stories which were presented as fact but with no evidence, and in the end recommended contact should be the decision of the parent and suggested that we all needed therapy (we certainly did after this experience, but it wasn't a realistic suggestion for the family as the mother of the children never agreed even to mediation) - also the social worker put us in a bad light and presented myths that were completely baseless to the court but were nonetheless taken on board as fact. The court went with the report and social worker as I understand they have a duty to do (the original social worker who had written the report didn't come to the court), however this social worker also said that we had kept the children against the mothers wishes and made it seem as if we had kidnapped them, even though they and the police actually told us we had to keep them with us, the social worker even said that there was no mental health issues with the parent - and that she had checked with the GP that this was the case even though we knew that this was completely incorrect, honestly it was awful and our perspective and evidence was more or less ignored - we then tried to make a final appeal to the high court and they said that they were the wrong court (our case had been in the district court). This was last year so we ran out of time & never discovered where our appeal was meant to go.

So we were left feeling that our case wasn't heard properly and that the social workers weren't transparent about us or our role in our grandchildren's life, so we have tried to complain to the ombudsman about the incorrect information presented to the court by the social workers, and they said that they couldn't deal with anything that is or was in court. We have been trying to get the local council who employ these social workers to look at the case, but they say they have to follow the ombudsman (contrary to the paperwork from the ombudsman that says that they should look into the complaint). Interestingly the LA also said that we had 3 years to file a claim? does anyone know what they are talking about here?? They have said that they won't deal with our complaint and have been very rigid about this.

We have also gone to the social work registration council who will be looking at the case to see if they can investigate it.

We don't think that going back to the family court will help us because it was such a traumatic experience and didn't get us anywhere at all, and of course as we knew, leaving it to the parent would only go one way, & we haven't seen the children since, except we are now not even permitted to send presents etc, we have been erased from their lives and we knew that if it was left to the parent this is what would happen.
    My question is where do we take our grievance that we have about the social workers conduct? Has anyone had any experience of this? We just want to do everything we can to clear our name as people and loving grandparents and we also don't think that the professionals involved should be able to sidestep their obligations to their profession.

thank you again!
    Tags: None

Your entire case rests on the mothers mental health and drug use. What evidence do you have to support this claim?

Comment

Hiya thank you for reading and replying. The evidence was there my daughter has Asperger's & ADHD diagnosis & social workers & GP knew she was addicted to opiate painkiller drugs, we even received phone calls about this from her GP who she'd consented to speak to us. Unfortunately, & I don't say this lightly) the social workers lied about this in court. I know how this sounds but there's no other explanation, they know that the children were with us because she'd become addicted to drugs & was getting clean & whilst there's no reason to think she'd continue with this addiction they didn't even recognise how distressingly this was for her & also for her children. We got nowhere with social work council & the LA refused to look at our complaint completely. They literally just ignored it.

I honestly think that even if we'd had recent evidence of mental health issues it wouldn't have mattered, they didn't believe she had Asperger's even though there was a diagnosis letter, the LA social workers just ignored the implications of the condition & ignored any other mental health addictions. I think we've been left with no faith in the system unfortunately. We've not seen our grandchildren since 2018 at this point & daughter refuses to accept any gifts for them as far as I'm concerned the system has failed them but she might be a better parent even if she has nothing to do with her family, who knows?

Comment

Here's some info - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/he...care-services/

Comment

Unfortunately, grandparents have no rights with regards to grandchildren. Your entire argument hinges on evidence. You do not have actual medical evidence that your daughter has Asperger syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or that she is addicted to opiate painkiller drugs.

What the social workers and general practitioner knew or did not know is just hearsay without medical evidence. The system has not failed you, because there is no system for grandparents there is however a system for a mother and her children which appears to be working as it should.

Comment

I am afraid just having aspergers and ADHD does not make the mother unfit to be a parent. You say the mother is clean of drugs now.., surely this is good? If the social workers are trying to support the mother in her rehabilitation, this is good too.

I am sorry the SW's report contained falsehoods, this actually happened to me which I did have witnesses who said the report contained inaccuracies at the case meeting (the report was inaccurate and very skewed against me, at the time I couldn't believe how it had been written by a professional, even my son's school objected to the inaccuracies in the report so I know this can happen).

But the underlying thing is that grandparents have no rights. Personally I think you would be best in this situation on working with the system, and your daughter and try to re-establish a relationship. However long this takes. It will take a long time. But I am afraid there is no choice.

You can object to the SW's report all you like, it won't help you to re-establish a relationship with your daughter and her child, this is what you need to concentrate on.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post
              Unfortunately, grandparents have no rights with regards to grandchildren. Your entire argument hinges on evidence. You do not have actual medical evidence that your daughter has Asperger syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or that she is addicted to opiate painkiller drugs.

What the social workers and general practitioner knew or did not know is just hearsay without medical evidence. The system has not failed you, because there is no system for grandparents there is however a system for a mother and her children which appears to be working as it should.
              Yes there was clear evidence that mother has aspergers and adhd, she was diagnosed with both by medical health professionals, and we had evidence of that, what I am saying is that this was entirely ignored completely by social workers who clearly had no working knowledge that this could have been reasons for her making the decisions that she was making, which was also not considered as a possibility. Why would you assume that we did not have evidence that daughter has these conditions or that she was addicted to painkillers? we absolutely did. It sounds like you have far too much faith in child and family welfare systems!
              You are partially correct, there is no system for grandparents, but there is also no system for children to keep contact with family that they love, parents are prioritised above the children's act laws designed to protect their emotional and mental health.

Comment

Originally posted by deannatrois View Post
                I am afraid just having aspergers and ADHD does not make the mother unfit to be a parent. You say the mother is clean of drugs now.., surely this is good? If the social workers are trying to support the mother in her rehabilitation, this is good too.

I am sorry the SW's report contained falsehoods, this actually happened to me which I did have witnesses who said the report contained inaccuracies at the case meeting (the report was inaccurate and very skewed against me, at the time I couldn't believe how it had been written by a professional, even my son's school objected to the inaccuracies in the report so I know this can happen).

But the underlying thing is that grandparents have no rights. Personally I think you would be best in this situation on working with the system, and your daughter and try to re-establish a relationship. However long this takes. It will take a long time. But I am afraid there is no choice.

You can object to the SW's report all you like, it won't help you to re-establish a relationship with your daughter and her child, this is what you need to concentrate on.
                Yes you are right, if she is actually clean of drugs etc, we were never included in conversations about this which is a shame because the way that it worked seemed to strengthen the division between our family and our daughter/and her new partner, whom we considered was quite happy we were out of the picture. I would even say that he was coercing her in some ways to separate from all of her family, including her siblings whom she has no contact with by choice either which is very sad for all of them really.

I am sorry that you had to deal with something similar, I am certain that this sort of thing happens quite a lot, due to interpretation of situations and sometimes people carry their own prejudice despite their professional position.

I am aware too that just because someone has a diagnosis it does not mean that they can't function well as a parent, and I didn't mean this, I meant that this might make her more vulnerable to making decisions that she might well regret in future, and to being coerced if that is what is happening.

We have not had contact with any of the grandchildren or my daughter since, despite attempts at reconciliation with her, it is a difficult situation but at least I have other children whom we are close to. Sadly my other daughter threw all that away, and has also lost out on support, but in the end that has to be her choice.

Her children will not always be children though, one day they will have the option to form their own relationships, and I suspect they will be curious about what happened to us or want to know where they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                  thank you for this

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X