• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My Grandmother is Stuck in Hospital Due to Legal Mess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grandmother is Stuck in Hospital Due to Legal Mess

Hi everyone, I知 from the UK

I知 truly in confusion and stress with this.

My mother and my uncle have LPA over my grandmother who is 95 years old with dementia. My mother also has financial power of attorney too but he does not. My grandmother has lived with me and my mum for the last 3 years and has ended up in hospital. My mum has come down with severe stress and has been told by her doctors she must give up looking after her mother from now on especially now the level of care for my grandmother is only suited to high professional levels of care now, and if she is to end up in hospital she should refuse to have her back in the home.

She has suffered greatly with this decision but has been as strong as she can to keep to it.

My uncle has barely seen my grandmother for the duration she has lived with us and has been very intimidating to my mother. He also has told us he would only look after her if we paid him money. We also had some of her money go missing from the house after he visited.

Whilst this is behaviour and more is, I知 sure, grounds for removing his LPA, proving it is a completely different game. We have wrote letters to the social services to try to get him removed but so far have still heard nothing back, a month or so later and are told it could take a lot longer.

My uncle is now offering to take my nan to live with him in a brand new house (we believe there to be financial reason or other scheme at hand here) and is refusing to allow her to be placed in a care home (we believe this is due to care home costs as he will be getting a fair portion of her will).

This now leaves my grandmother stuck in a hospital miles away from us. She is still in a short stay ward and social services have told us unless my mother and uncle can come to an agreement, she will have to stay here.

It is incredibly scary witnessing this unfolding and our family are in pure confusion as to our rights and what can be done about it all.

My mother would happily give up her and his LPA rights if it meant that my grandmother was placed in a suitable care home.

We would love some advice on how to get my grandmother out of there without him taking her.

Thank you very much.
    Tags: None

A very stressful situation for you and your mother.
    You will need to support each other for your own heath's sake.

Regarding your concerns over your uncle's possible misuse of his LPA, you should report these to the Office of Public Guardian (OPG) asap, not Social Services*https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-ab...eputy-guardian

IMO it would be foolish, and not in your nan's best interests , if the professional advice that she be looked after in a care home was ignored.
    The holder of an LPA may only act in the best interest of the donor (in this case your nan) so your uncle's wishes would seem to be contrary to this, and you should highlight this when talking to OPG

As your mother has control of your nan's finances, and your uncle will only act for money, your mother needs to stand firm and tell him in no uncertain terms that he will receive none of it as she does not believe it is in her mother's best interests.

I wish you all well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X