• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Child benefit tax charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child benefit tax charge

We received a letter enquiring whether we need to pay child benefit tax charge.
    i am full time mum till 2017, then started earning 20000 a year.
    my husband earned 44000 till 2016. Then to 60000 in 2017.
    we didn’t pay attention to stop child benefit, as I wasn’t earning much. We were also looking to settle down and buy a home.
    Now we received a letter enquiring us if we need to pay child benefit tax charge.
    i know we need to pay back as I didn’t opt out. But I want to approach in a nice way legally and tell them We can only repay very little every month as we have huge mortgage and other debts.
    please can you kindly suggest how I speak to them ? Or suggest an email draft I can send them.
    hope you will help us.
    Thanks somuch in advance.
    kind regards
    Tags: None

The child benefit will be required to be repaid partially from when your husbands income hit £50,000 up to when it hit £60,000 (1% per £100 over £50k) and once at £60,000 the child benefit would need to be repaid in full. It's repaid through income tax, is he registered for self assessment ? If he is earning over £60k now then you are likely best to ask to stop claiming child benefit to save you having to account for repaying it through his tax.

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-calculator to work out what you might owe.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello again,
      I also wanted to mention,
      my husband and I were renting two places as he couldnt commute to work everyday. It’s long way and with night shifts it was just not possible. So we had to pay 2 rents + living expenses. It didn’t occur we had to opt out. And after 2017 , he still commuted but to a closer place.just thinking if there is any way to explain and pay with out extra charges. Now we have a big mortgage, hence thinking what and how we approach .
      kindly advice
      regards

Comment

Generally, Income tax in the UK is the tax where deductions are made at source, which means at the point where income is credited but not transferred to the concerned person and is thus, also known as tax deducted at source. I read this information on this blog: https://theangeltrust.com/know-about...tax-in-the-uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X