• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pressing Charges - Domestic Violence - what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing Charges - Domestic Violence - what to do

I've been a victim of domestic violence (male victim and mother was the aggressor) and left the relationship to protect my child, almost a year after the worst of the violent episodes. The abuse and mental instability continued, but the physical attacks on me stopped. I've applied to the court but my ex has made false allegations that I emotionally abused her and that the attacks on me were in self-defence. I've been advised to press charges against my ex to hold weight to the judge and aid in any Finding of Fact hearing. However, I would like a second opinion. My issues are as follows:
    1. Would CAFCASS see this negatively against me, since they would like parents to get on?
    2. Would this have any real weight to the judge, if Finding of Fact is likely going to happen and would need to go through the details anyway?
    3. If I press charges and she gave a no comment interview, would it even hold up in court/for a caution. My evidence is photos of injuries, my word via a statement and a sound recording of what was happening from my mobile phone (where I say out loud what was happening at the time).
    4. Would this be advisable, given it wouldn't be in the interests of my son for his parents to be so bitter at each other. I do feel that she deserves to get a slap on the wrist and prevent future victims from getting injured. I am particularly bothered about point 3, because I would rather this didn't make things worse if it was just going to get ignored by the police/be NFA'd. I am told that the standard of proof is stupidly high - i.e you need CCTV evidence, or several witnesses!?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Most unwise -If a court find to the criminal standard of proof that she did not assault you, your assertion that she did is unsustainable

Comment

OK so it will count against me if the police investigate it and don't have enough evidence to be sure it happened? I have photos and sound recordings, but feel that might not be enough based on what I've been told. My solicitor has told me they think I should press charges, any reason why?

Comment

Ask your solicitor that question!

Comment

They had to question her before and NFA'd it due to me not willing to make a statement. Does this cause me a problem?

Comment

See my previous answer - on that note, I wish you good luck and now bow out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X