• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Relationship breakdown and joint mortgage issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationship breakdown and joint mortgage issue

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum, however, I have been doing some online research given my position and thought here would be a good place to ask some informal questions to people that may have similar stories. I am meeting with a solicitor on Tuesday to obtain formal, legal advice, but I want to go as fully prepared as I can with numerous questions.

So here it is… after 5 and a half years my relationship has sadly ended, around 7 weeks ago. No real reason only that we had been going through a rough patch due to family stresses, work, losing each other in general etc (both equally to blame).

Three years ago, my ex-partner and I purchased our first property together. The house was purchased for £170k, I put down £14k and my ex-partner £3k into the deposit. My family loaned me some additional money for fees and to purchase various items for the property (£6K and they have not asked for this back yet, but an agreement was drafted that I signed). The fact that my ex-partner put much less into the house financially was not an issue at all for me at the time, no declarations were signed at the time of buying the house, as we both felt this wasn’t required. We had lived with my parents for 9 months prior to buying our own home to save up for the deposit (rent free). Since moving into the house in July 2016, I have paid all of the mortgage payments in full (joint mortgage) and at the start, all of the bill payments too (bills are all in my name). Around 18 months ago, I sat down with my ex-partner and stated that she should probably start paying the household bills, to which she did. All mortgage payments and bill payments have come out of a joint account, but money has been added to this account separately by each other every month. We have undertaken a lot of renovation work to the house, which was solely funded by myself and has added around £30k to the value of the property. The property is now averaging out at £196k (3 separate EAs have valued the property). The amount owed on the mortgage is £163k, as we re-mortgaged for the kitchen. I have been in contact with the mortgage lenders, who have said that I can afford to take the mortgage on in my own name if an agreement is reached with my ex-partner to remove her from the mortgage.

Since the breakdown of the relationship, my ex-partner and I have been in communication, I have wanted to make the relationship work, discuss our issues, meet up and talk, however, my ex-partner has already moved on with someone else. Since realising that maybe my ex-partner is not all she once seemed, I have blocked all contact with her and made the solicitors appointment mentioned above.
    I do also have a 7 year old daughter from a previous relationship. I see my daughter 3 days a week and who sleeps at the house 2 nights a week. This is a regular agreement and the house is seen as my daughter's home when she is here. My ex-partner has been very close to my daughter and was seen as her step mum, always doing things together as a family. My ex-partner has moved out of the property and is now living at her mother's house. My ex partner has stopped paying anything into the home, including her share of the mortgage payments. I would not expect bills to be paid for by her but I would have appreciated half of the mortgage amount as you can understand. I am now struggling slightly to run the house and live at the same time.

Without going into further detail, my questions are as follows:

1. When purchasing the property, I put a significantly larger sum into the house. My ex-partner has stated that she wants half of the equity paying to her, is this correct, given that no declaration or agreement was drawn up for this sort of situation?

2. When drafting an offer up for me to buy my ex-partner out, do I take into consideration all of the costs I paid for such as a new garage, new kitchen, new doors, loans taken out in my own name for home improvements etc? I can prove all of these payments from my own bank account. These have all added significant value to the property.

3. If my ex does not accept a fair offer to be bought out, can I stop the sale of the house due to my daughter staying with me two nights a week? The house is my daughter's base when she is with me. Would my ex-partner have to wait until my daughter is 18 to force the sale of the house? I.e. would a judge rule in favour of me and my daughter keeping the house, as I do not want to sell.

4. The front door to the property is currently removed (being refurbished). Can I put this back on, there will be a new lock – There are a storm doors on the front of the property to which my ex-partner has a key for but if the other door is installed then she will not be able to enter the property as it will be a new lock. She will still have a back door key but the key is always left in the lock internally.

5. I have cleared the house out of all my ex-partners possessions. This has been done by agreement as she would not do this but was happy for me to do it for her. She has taken some of her belongings; however, I have put the rest in the garage in bin bags. Is this ok?

Although I am finding this entire situation hard, I do want to be fair and keep things as amicable as possible. We live in a small town and we will no doubt bump into each other from time to time. However, I do feel my ex-partner should only get what she is legally due and given the fact she has put significantly less money and work into the house over the three years, has stopped paying anything towards the mortgage, I do not necessarily feel that a 50/50 equity split is fair, although I am prepared for all outcomes.

Thank you all, and any informal advice or similar stories would be gratefully received, before my solicitors meeting on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Blackcombe; 27th June 2019, 13:47:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X