• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Recovery of car from ex girlfiend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery of car from ex girlfiend

Hi,

Can someone please give some advise. I am writing on behalf of a family member, who broke up with the mother of his child some months back, and are currently going through a court case.

My question is in relation to his car, which the ex has in her possession, will not give back.. she has hidden and thrown the keys at him. The police will not get involved as it's a "civil" matter... even though she has effectively stolen it. And will not disclose it's location.

He pays the finance, and is the owner, as per the log book.

Can anyone advise on the correct procedure to recover the car? The court hasn't been very helpful.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

I would have considered it as theft on the basis she is dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, and the police should be involved.

However as it stands he could obtain a court order requiring her to return the vehicle.
    Before starting the court process he should write formally asking for the return of the car. Keep a copy of the letter and sending it first class with free certificate of posting.

Comment

I would have considered it as theft on the basis she is dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it,.This amounts to theft under section 1 of the theft act.and the police should get involved Altho often they just say civil matter as he now knows.

However as it stands he could obtain a court order requiring her to return the vehicle.
      Before starting the court process he should write formally asking for the return of the car. Keep a copy of the letter and sending it first class with free certificate of posting.
      He can issue an application using form N244.

Comment

1 Report it stolen
        2 SORN it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X