• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Using deceased family member image and name to advertise event without permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using deceased family member image and name to advertise event without permission

Hi, i hope someone here can help me.

I have recently lost my sister. It's a very upsetting and traumatic situation for all the family (inc her mam and dad). There is to be a full coroners inquest and an NHS incident review. Anyway, some of my sisters friends have decided to have a charity event in her name. They have not involved the family in any way, shape or form. We knew nothing until everything was booked and arranged. After we were finally told of the event we realised one of the chosen charities was one which my sister had previously volunteered for but was insulted and pushed out by the person running the charity. This caused trouble with that led to great upset for my sister. I confirmed with other family members this was true. I approached one of the event organisers (friend of my deceased sister) to ask for this charity to be removed. The so called friend, became verbally abusive and angry. He then informed me the media were involved (BBC, local radio and newspapers) at which point I stated that the family did not think it was appropriate due to the on going coroners case and the upset it was causing the family. He then told me our feelings were irrelevant and they would do what they wanted. this has caused immense anguish and upset with her 85 year old father and myself.

So my question is can they do this event using my sisters name and image to promote it without the family giving permission?

Thank you in advance
    Tags: None

You might have some argument about the copyright in the image. Do you know who took the picture?

It's an awful time for you all, and you have my sympathy. Personally, I would just shun the event and make my disapproval known to anyone that asks. I'm surprised how brusque the organisers have been, but they have their own grief to deal with. So, perhaps you can find it in your heart to forgive them. Only heartache and conflict can come from trying to stop them from going ahead.

Comment

2222 thank you for responding. I had a feeling that was the case. I don't feel its their grief as much as self promotion (they are the acts singing on the stage)...they are both working men's club singers and could do with the publicity (hence local media involvement) coming home from working on cruise ships. Anyway thanks for helping.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X