• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Childcare advice - Nursery closing, notice period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childcare advice - Nursery closing, notice period

Hi

I need some advice or help to see where I stand with regards my daughters nursery. She is 20 months old and been in a local nursery for the past 8 months, which she absolutely loves. Unfortunately this nursery has been leasing the classrooms of the local primary school, where the lease is up in July. We have known this since our daughter joined but we were promised a new, purpose built nursery just around the corner, so weren't overly worried.

However, last week an urgent meeting was held where it has come to light that the building was potentially never a viable solution (even though we were shown builders plans / blue prints of it!) and that the council money that was allocated for it, has been reallocated to another project (still not sure on this bit, as know one seems to be able to get a straight answer). This has meant that the likely hood is that the nursery will close .

We are now desperately trying to find alternative childcare but as you can imagine, most are full, more expensive or both or don't do the hours we need. We've found a few though, which will hopefully help.

My question though is, apparently on our contract (of which we were never given a copy) we have to give 6 weeks notice! We're not even sure if the nursery will be around in 6 weeks due to staff leaving daily at the moment and the fact we have been misled all the way through; we just want to get our daughter out of there and into another, more stable situation. Surely they cannot enforce the notice period, where they cannot for sure tell us we even have a premise to go into or that the place might implode at any given moment? The deputy manager there left yesterday as she couldn't cope with the situation any more, which meant, the older children had to be picked up earlier as there simply was not enough staff to cope ... I'm dreading a similar phonecall!

We can't afford to pay another month there and at a potential new nursery.

Any help would be brilliantly received,

TIA

Tags: None

Sorry for late reply. Can you obtain in writing from the nursery if your child’s nursery will be situated in the same place in six weeks time?. If they state in the same place, then no worries, however if they state it won’t be there or indeed can’t guarantee it and can’t give you a new address for the nursery , then I can’t see any reason why you should have to give six weeks notice.

Just my opinion, based on that you entered a contract with the nursery for its geographic placement when you placed your child in it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X