• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Looking for advice please.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for advice please.

    Hi all

    I am looking for some advice.

    So I have a mum and dad.

    My mum is a social tenant who has low amount of wealth and only has a car and furniture to her name.

    My father lives in England and is actively searches for unclaimed estates on my fathers side of the family.

    My mum and dad married in excess of 30 years ago

    My mum and dad separated without any legal agreement and the separation was to due to domestic abuse including financial abuse to both of us and adultery.

    Now my mum is not getting any younger is now an OAP.

    I am now looking for advice on what to do next as my mum does not want any of her money or possessions to go to my dad however is reluctant to divorce or pay for a solicitors will due to costs and religious reasons.

    My mum would like to ask if I would be forced by law to contact my father in regards to her death or advertise her death due to her legal relationship with my father?
    Also how would my father know if she had died?
    And how can I protect my mothers assets and money from my father?

    EDIT: Both myself and my mum are in Scotland

    Thank you so much in advance.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    If your mum dies intestate, then her assets will belong to your father. If you choose to hide the death and keep the assets, you are effectively stealing his stuff, unfortunately. So, the simple answer is for your mum to make a will leaving everything to you. It's not expensive to do that, and she does not need a solicitor.

    There are several charities offering a free will writing service. They normally suggest a donation to the charity or writing a bequest to the charity into the will, though, so it's not quite free.

    Here's one. https://www.willaid.org.uk/

    Google will find you lots more. I think that's better than doing a home-brewed will.

    By the way, I'm in England. Scottish law is a bit different, so forgive me if there are any inaccuracies in what I have written.


    View our Terms and Conditions

    LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

    If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

    If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




    Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

    justbeagle screenshot

    Find a Law Firm NOW

    See more
    See less

    Court Claim ?

    Guides and Letters

    Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

    Find a Law Firm