• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • LegalBeagles® is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed for emigration

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help needed for emigration


    I have an opportunity of moving abroad with my children, I have managed to secure myself a job, found a property for us and I have applied for VISA'S. Only issue is, my sons father who has been out of the family home for 2 years now, is reluctant to let us make the move. We separated due to his drug addiction and the financial difficulties he continually put myself and the children in. He had the support from myself and his family and I even put myself in financial debt to get him into a residential rehabilitation unit where he spent 4 months away from myself and the children following a programme to get the help he desperately needed. Now whilst I have been fully supportive and sympathetic to his demons, he left rehab and has continued to use drugs putting me in an impossible situation. He sees the children 2 days a week at his parents house as he cannot be trusted to have them without supervision as I have found in the past he has been under the influence of cocaine whilst having the children in his care. He does not and never has contributed towards their upbringing, financially or emotionally. He does of course have PR to my son as he is on his birth certificate. Can anyone offer any advice? Can I apply to a court to make the move abroad without his permission? Or has anyone been in a similar situation? I just want what is best for my children, I would never stop all forms of contact and I would happily make the trip back home for contact and always offer him contact and visitation to us.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi and welcome

    Any parent wishing to take their child abroad will need to provide full details of their plans such as housing, schooling and most importantly how the child will retain as full a relationship with the ‘left behind’ parent as is possible following the move. The overriding concern for the court will be the welfare of the child and the court will only allow an application to succeed if it is in the best interests of the child(ren).

    you might find these links useful
    https://www.kingsleynapley.co.uk/ser...n-abroad.(This is not a recommendation for this firm, it just seems to be a good article)


    • #3
      Hi Des8, you are right, if the non resident parent is having a routine contact, then she will have to have a very good reasons why she needs to relocate permanently outside UK.
      Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

      I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




      Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

      justbeagle screenshot

      Find a Law Firm NOW

      See more
      See less

      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm