• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Division of Pensions on Divorce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Division of Pensions on Divorce

I am acting as Litigant in person during my ongoing divorce, my Ex's solicitor is suggesting that on my Form E I need to disclose all of my pension information even from before I was married which it seems the google searches would suggest is not the case.
    To give the full situation, this is my 2nd marriage that broke down a year ago after 17 years, my first marriage was 10 years. Before this marriage I had a number of pensions including a Military pension which I accrued during my 1st marriage. during my 2nd marriage for 3 years I was enrolled in the LGPS whilst working for a local council as part of this the LGPS allowed me to fetch old pensions into the same scheme so several pensions I accrued before this 2nd marriage were commuted into the LGPS this did not include the military pension but did include 3 other pensions including 7 years pension whilst working for British Rail so the largest part of the LGPS is made up of this 7 years plus a further 8 years of other pensions.
    So 2 questions? - Is her solicitor correct saying she can make a claim on my pensions earned before we were married? Secondly if not how would I go about coming to a settlement figure on the LGPS given only 3 years of this was built up during our marriage?
    My first wife never worked so never built up a pension so I would assume she would have a claim on the pensions I accrued with her whereas my 2nd wife worked throughout our marriage and would have built up a good pension having worked for a major bank and for the NHS.
    TIA
    Tags: None

I sorted my pension settlement with my ex a couple of years ago and you definitely do not have to take the years you weren't married into account. Have you applied for the amount it is worth. I forget the actual name of what it is. Once that comes you will need to start getting evidence and negotiate the actual figure with your exes solicitor. Stay firm as they will try to get as much out of you as possible. It is a horrible process but worth all the negotiating to get what's yours in the end.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X