• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

No contract and holiday pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No contract and holiday pay

Hi I need some advice
    I worked for my sister who is a market trader for 26 weeks.
    I had no contract no employee hand book no terms of employment or holiday pay - nothing. I have seen nothing.
    I worked16 per week.
    With no lunches
    I took four days holiday in that time and got my bank holidays paid which was verbally agreed.
    I gave Notice to my sister of a week and moved jobs, that was in March
    I am still awaiting my original p45.
    I was paid for that week and have my payslip.
    I have all my payslips which say nothing about holiday etc.
    On April 23rd I was deliver by hand by my father a letter with my name on the front, inside a computer typed letter no business heading or to me. From my sister saying her accountant has finished her end of year books, and could not sortthem out as I was not paid correctly my last week as I did not give a weeks notice ( I did) though over phone, and worked my week notice week which is two days.
    Also it stated have had more of my holiday entitlement for the time I worked so I owe her 80.40 which she will take me to small claims court if I don't pay.
    I called her accountant who paid and sorted my wages and they said that they don't keep records off holidays, and generally said they have nothing on file about this.
    I have spoken to acas twice one guy said no contact or employmee handbook then she can't prove a thing.
    Another said that verbal contract is enough....... though I was never told how much holiday I could have.
    As we are talking sisterly love here!!!
    Please can you help me as
    If I though I owed her I would pay but I don't owe her a penny,
    I think she has sour grapes and wants to put me through it as am getting my life back on track.
    So what do I do now, do I write to her asking for evidence of her accusations proof of her conclusion.
    I am hurt and dumfounded.......
    Nininarna
    Tags: None

Re: No contract and holiday pay

Originally posted by Nininarna View Post
    Hi I need some advice
    I worked for my sister who is a market trader for 26 weeks.
    I had no contract no employee hand book no terms of employment or holiday pay - nothing. I have seen nothing.
    I worked16 per week.
    With no lunches
    I took four days holiday in that time and got my bank holidays paid which was verbally agreed.
    I gave Notice to my sister of a week and moved jobs, that was in March
    I am still awaiting my original p45.
    I was paid for that week and have my payslip.
    I have all my payslips which say nothing about holiday etc.
    On April 23rd I was deliver by hand by my father a letter with my name on the front, inside a computer typed letter no business heading or to me. From my sister saying her accountant has finished her end of year books, and could not sortthem out as I was not paid correctly my last week as I did not give a weeks notice ( I did) though over phone, and worked my week notice week which is two days.
    Also it stated have had more of my holiday entitlement for the time I worked so I owe her 80.40 which she will take me to small claims court if I don't pay.
    I called her accountant who paid and sorted my wages and they said that they don't keep records off holidays, and generally said they have nothing on file about this.
    I have spoken to acas twice one guy said no contact or employmee handbook then she can't prove a thing.
    Another said that verbal contract is enough....... though I was never told how much holiday I could have.
    As we are talking sisterly love here!!!
    Please can you help me as
    If I though I owed her I would pay but I don't owe her a penny,
    I think she has sour grapes and wants to put me through it as am getting my life back on track.
    So what do I do now, do I write to her asking for evidence of her accusations proof of her conclusion.
    I am hurt and dumfounded.......
    Nininarna
    £80.40p??

Btw, Nininarna, welcome to LB!
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes £80.40 and thankyou

Comment

Yes £80.40 and thankyou
        You're welcome; blimey, by the time she takes you to court, given the fees & the rest of the aggravation, (not to mention whether she has a case to begin with) imho she will be losing out.
        Not a sound commercial decision, I think!
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I agree, though in the letter she says she will make sure I pay her costs also

Comment

I agree, though in the letter she says she will make sure I pay her costs also
            Very unlikely; In Small Claims, usually each side bears their own costs.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X