• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can I be made redundant to allow for up-skilling a team?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I be made redundant to allow for up-skilling a team?

Hi - I've spent a long time googling but can't find an answer so here I am.

Me and two colleagues with the same job role have been put at risk this week and been given the opportunity to apply for 3 roles which are of a higher level.

I've decided to apply because I feel I meet the criteria for the more senior role but it's strikes me as an unusual reason for redundancy and they should be offering the chance to train to meet the new skill set?

Given that they haven't just given any of us a promotion it is clear they know we won't all apply for the role or won't meet the criteria(I.e. Whatever happens we aren't all staying?) but I can't help thinking if any of us do meet the criteria it should be offered as an alternative employment option rather than making us go through an interview process?

I'm just wondering whether I ought to float the idea at my consultation if the others don't apply? I.e. The others haven't applied, I'm qualified so offer me as an alternative role?

Is it even legal to use up-skilling a team as a redundancy reason?
    Tags: None

Re: Can I be made redundant to allow for up-skilling a team?

Sorry to hear that Jambaro - I suffered similar fate last year and work in HR! The short answer is probably yes as you are effectively talking about a restructure. Normally in the case of a restructure, attempts may be made to match people to posts (if the duties and grades are similar) or, as in your case, require employees to apply for posts (this is what happened to me - I jumped ship and took voluntary severance). Should you fail to be appointed, then you would be classed as redundant as your post has effectively gone. Employers are required to mitigate the effects of redundancy by considering suitable alternative employment - but only if they have suitable vacancies - they do not have to create you a post. It is hard for me to go into more detail without knowing details of your redundancy policy or what consultation you have been through. Hope this help and good luck

Comment

Thanks for your guidance - I think my 'argument' is that the senior role they are advertising is the same grade as my current role with 'senior' tacked on. We have a forms job grading process so I know they are the same level. I wondered if they should be offering the role as alternative employment of the others in the pool do not meet the minimum criteria for the new role but I do?

Comment

Setting the grade aside, how similar are the roles in terms of duties and responsibilities? Are you able to argue that the post is effectively yours with a different job title? If this is the case, then they should be offering the role as alternative employment if you meet the criteria. You will need to push your employer on the redundancy selection criteria and ask for objective reasons why you have not been offered the post. This is very similar to what happened to me last year.

Comment

I shall take a look into it - I've explained to them that I feel the roles are close on paper and that the actual job they have asked me to do for the last year (and graded me against as exceeding expectations) is actually the new job. Essentially the reason they want to replace us is the size of be portfolio we will be managing has grown since we were appointed and we aren't skilled to run a portfolio of that size however I've been running a portfolio of the bigger size since day 1 and graded as doing well.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X