• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Legality of telling the press about a tribunal hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legality of telling the press about a tribunal hearing

xxxx
    Last edited by ryanbhoy1984; 12th April 2016, 17:02:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Legality of telling the press about a tribunal hearing

I am sure there are some legal bods on here who can give you some proper advice but so long as no one has expressly forbidden any media leaks and you personally do not mention anything that could be described as private company business (I.e company financials or stuff the competitors could jump on) then I can see no technical issue HOWEVER...I would be inclined to avoid venting my spleen as this could be mentioned at the tribunal and twisted to make you look like you are on a vendetta to ruin the company’s reputation or being unreasonably aggressive.They might be just the sort of organisation that needs slapping down but get a judgement in your favour first would be my humble advice.-oh and good luck!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

I see no issue. The media outlets will be well aware of what can and can't be reported and if anything is brought up in open court it's not confidential.

M1

Comment

XXXX
        Last edited by ryanbhoy1984; 12th April 2016, 17:03:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbhoy1984 View Post
          Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me here. I have been speaking to the press about my tribunal claim, and there are a couple of media outlets interested in possibly doing a story on it. Is this legal for me to do, before the end of the hearing? I've not really told them anything I'd consider to be secretive, and I certainly haven't told them anything that isn't true, albeit from my point of view.

Can I get into trouble from the tribunal service because of this? As far as I can tell the hearing itself will be an open, public affair, I have only made them aware of what will be getter my discussed on the day.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryan
          The employer will argue the media interest will likely have already prejudiced their interest in the case. This is why the courts try to avoid trial by media as they know the defendants interests are prejudiced before the trial. So, it's the media's interference via its freedom of expression versus the employer's right to a fair hearing.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ryanbhoy1984 View Post
          Cheers guys, I thought as much, I just didn't want it thrown in my face in the tribunal. No doubt there will be a reporter there taking notes anyway.
          If your uncle is part of the media....this is potentially manipulating an outcome by nepotism.

Comment

I can't see it being a problem but one thing to be aware of and I'm not sure if there are similar provisions for tribunals but, in civil proceedings disclosed documents used for litigation purposes cannot be disclosed to third parties without permission of the court. The same goes for a witness statement served by the other side unless consent is given by that person, the court gives permission or the witness statement has been used as evidence at a public hearing.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

XXXX
              Last edited by ryanbhoy1984; 12th April 2016, 17:03:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X