• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Tribunal settlement figures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribunal settlement figures

Im going to an employment tribunal very soon for unfair dismissal and was wondering about settlement figures. Ive spoken to a few people who say if an unfair dismissal case goes to tribunal then your award is limited to what the law says you can claim. But an out of court settlement is not limited and you can ask for whatever you want, and its up to the boss to negotiate it down or not agree to it at all. My thinking is; if the boss really doesn’t want to go into the tribunal because the bad publicity would cost them far more in lost income than an out of court settlement would cost, then they should expect to pay more to keep it out of the court room than what you would have been awarded in court. In theory I could request compensation for things such as stress, damage to reputation or, hurt feelings; things which I would not be able to claim for if it went into court. I want to maximise the money I get if we settle out of court but my solicitor seems content with just asking for lost earnings and nothing else. Can I put my own financial figure on an out of court settlement and see where it goes, or do I have to keep to the figure which the solicitor says?
    Tags: None

Re: Tribunal settlement figures

Hi Eric Sson & welcome to LB

Ekic Sson?....................That name rings a bell...............................:whistle:

IMHO (& if I may use an example)

My OH took a well-known company (employer) to ET a few years back.
    I remember it as a stressful & time-consuming period, lasting approx 6 months.
    The firm took it to the wire - they actually 'settled' during the lunch break of the main hearing, having dragged us through case management hearings, a Pre-Hearing Review & , of course, months of sifting through evidence, case law, legislation, Codes of Practice etc etc.
    We knew that our case was sound, so their legal rep must also have known; that didn't stop them from using every trick in their book to wriggle out of it. (& fair play, that's what they get paid the big bucks for!)
    & this was before you had to pay to go to ET.
    So, again imho by all means go for it (the tactical ploy, as it were) if that is your game plan.
    Just be aware that you might not find as easy a mark as you hope for.
    But I do wish you the best of luck.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi Eric Sson & welcome to LB

Ekic Sson?....................That name rings a bell...............................:whistle:
      I didn't think anyone would get the name after they parted ways with Sony. I'm impressed :tinysmile_grin_t:

Thank you for the reply. My boss is very stubborn, he was advised not to sack me by the very people who are now representing him as they said it would be an unsafe dismissal, he ignored them because its his company and he will do what he wants. We have an extremely strong case and they know it, but his stubbornness means he will probably take his chances in the courtroom rather than settle, but im preparing just in case his representative manage to talk some sense into him. Either way I am coming away with something, but going through with the hearing will mean he loses much more than what he has to pay out to me. I don't think the penny has dropped yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Sson View Post
        I didn't think anyone would get the name after they parted ways with Sony. I'm impressed :tinysmile_grin_t:

Thank you for the reply. My boss is very stubborn, he was advised not to sack me by the very people who are now representing him as they said it would be an unsafe dismissal, he ignored them because its his company and he will do what he wants. We have an extremely strong case and they know it, but his stubbornness means he will probably take his chances in the courtroom rather than settle, but im preparing just in case his representative manage to talk some sense into him. Either way I am coming away with something, but going through with the hearing will mean he loses much more than what he has to pay out to me. I don't think the penny has dropped yet though.
        The tip we were given (from this site, & probably the best pointer from anyone/anywhere):-

Get all your

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

My solicitor has put a stop to any ideas of an out of court settlement including things that the court would not award. So nothing for stress, damage to reputation or, hurt feelings etc. He is just wanting to match the court pound for pound. In that case, ive come this far so I may as well let it go to court because im not going to be any worse off, but my boss will be.

Comment

My solicitor has put a stop to any ideas of an out of court settlement including things that the court would not award. So nothing for stress, damage to reputation or, hurt feelings etc. He is just wanting to match the court pound for pound. In that case, ive come this far so I may as well let it go to court because im not going to be any worse off, but my boss will be.
            Best thing would be to follow your solicitor's advice, after all, he/she is legally qualified.

Comment

Im going to an employment tribunal very soon for unfair dismissal and was wondering about settlement figures. Ive spoken to a few people who say if an unfair dismissal case goes to tribunal then your award is limited to what the law says you can claim. But an out of court settlement is not limited and you can ask for whatever you want, and its up to the boss to negotiate it down or not agree to it at all. My thinking is; if the boss really doesn’t want to go into the tribunal because the bad publicity would cost them far more in lost income than an out of court settlement would cost, then they should expect to pay more to keep it out of the court room than what you would have been awarded in court. In theory I could request compensation for things such as stress, damage to reputation or, hurt feelings; things which I would not be able to claim for if it went into court. I want to maximise the money I get if we settle out of court but my solicitor seems content with just asking for lost earnings and nothing else. Can I put my own financial figure on an out of court settlement and see where it goes, or do I have to keep to the figure which the solicitor says?
              You could get far more if it went to court but tribunals will have compensation caps. If the opponent wants to settle out of court, in theory he or she could potentially offer you more than the tribunal awards to settle. tribunal/ court = judge's remedy on the facts. Settle out of court = not law but parties' negotiations.
              Last edited by Openlaw15; 18th March 2016, 12:38:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X