• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Withdrawal of job offer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Withdrawal of job offer

Openlaw
    I must have missed where they have been told by a solicitor it has no merit , I did see where his area Union rep said not to who is in most likelihood unqualified.

I have just read that the acceptance was outside the required time frame and as a layman I would think this would scupper any chances of success .

The whole point of the small claim court is surely to let individuals have access to justice at an affordable price with minimum risk

Comment

Firstly, in terms of the redundancy - I actually left under a settlement agreement, with the last day of my employment being the 2nd December. As I had been with the previous employer for over 8 years, they offered to keep me on for my notice period, but after discussions, it was felt it would be better if they let me go straight away. Whilst in theory there was "Payment in lieu of notice" the actual legal agreement is simply a payment of cash and my employment finished on the 2nd December.

I had already been offered the new job, and we had mutually agreed a start on the 14th December - but that was rescinded by phone on the 4th December, followed up in writing with a letter stating "Due to restructuring and redeployment of staff we no longer have a suitable opening. It is therefore with much regret that we hereby formally withdraw our offer of employment. I would like to reassure you that it was unforeseen turn of events and does not reflect on the regard in which we hold you.."

There's other stuff about keeping my name on file, apologising again and wishing me the best of luck in my search.

The only weak area is the time taken to accept - but the employer knew full well what the situation was, and I spoke to the agency on numerous occasions between the offer being sent, the offer arriving and me actually sending it back.

They can't claim to have withdrawn on the grounds of time if they knew and accepted that, and wrote to me with the actual reasons can they?

Ta.
      Rammy68

- - - Updated - - -

PS The union area rep's view (NOT the union solicitors view - who I haven't contacted) was that as I had the money from my previous employer, there was no actual loss - and this is the point i disagree with him on....

Comment

[MENTION=77627]Openlaw15[/MENTION]

No, my view is not at all prejudiced; it's practical and in my opinion the best course of action for the OP.

I shall say this as professionally as possible - in my opinion your advice thus far has not been helpful.

- Matt
        Last edited by matt3942; 7th January 2016, 14:54:PM.
        Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

[MENTION=76801]Rammy68[/MENTION]

Your former employer's decision to pay you in lieu of notice has no bearing on your claim against the new employer. The new employer made an offer, which you accepted, and it then revoked, thus breaching that contract. As such you are entitled to payment in lieu of the contractual notice period you would have received.

- Matt
          Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

That was my opinion - but just a bit worried as have not normally known union reps walk away from a fight they think they can win! - he didn't mention the time aspect, but that's the only loophole I think the new employer has. Hopefully will be resolved when they come back to me next week.
            Thanks for sensible advice - I don't want to fight the world, but Christmas has been somewhat sullied by the fact I've been out of work!

Comment

No problem. The Union might not want to get involved as you've now left the company, especially if the new employer doesn't recognise that particular Union.

- Matt

Comment

Matt/Rammy

My only worry is the 10 days given to respond .
                I suppose it would be a question of 10 calendar days or 10 working days. In addition does it say from date of this letter or receipt of this letter. these may only seem to be minor points but could possibly make the difference.

I have heard that there is an accepted timesacle for post, 1st being delivered on the 2nd day after posting i.e post mon del wed and 2nd class 4 days. No idea where I read it just something that is in the back of my mind

Comment

Hi [MENTION=78313]NWHC[/MENTION]

That was my concern too, which is why my initial advice was to chalk it up to experience.

In the OP's defence, the new employer didn't cite the delayed response as the reason for withdrawing the offer.

- Matt

Comment

it does say 10 days from the date of the letter - as you say that could make the difference. If they had said in their subsequent letter "we are withdrawing the job offer as you've taken too long to respond", then it's a fair cop...but they knew of my intention to hold out for the redundancy, and were happy to discuss the start date, where I was to report and what was going to happen etc etc. My main point is, they knew why it was taking longer to respond, and didn't query it at the time (nor, so far, since).

Rammy68

Comment

Originally posted by NWHC View Post
                      Openlaw
                      I must have missed where they have been told by a solicitor it has no merit , I did see where his area Union rep said not to who is in most likelihood unqualified.

I have just read that the acceptance was outside the required time frame and as a layman I would think this would scupper any chances of success .

The whole point of the small claim court is surely to let individuals have access to justice at an affordable price with minimum risk
                      I bowed out of the breach issue whether there was merit or not. The problem with the costs issue is that it is costs for legal reps, which makes it unaffordable for the average employee especially one who, in a hypothetical case, is on NMW. However, the employer is not impeded as far as costs are concerned. The idea of tribunal however was supposed to be a legal forum but without the formalities, strictness of law, and would ordinarily not have any costs attached, but nowadays even tribunals have the powers to demand costs. The economy is also another reason why employment issues are discouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by matt3942 View Post
                        No problem. The Union might not want to get involved as you've now left the company, especially if the new employer doesn't recognise that particular Union.

- Matt
                        Having the right to access justice is a legal/ constitutional right in modern democratic countries and employers cannot deny employees' rights to join unions or dismiss them owing to being members.

Comment

@Openlaw15

No, my view is not at all prejudiced; it's practical and in my opinion the best course of action for the OP.

I shall say this as professionally as possible - in my opinion your advice thus far has not been helpful.

- Matt
                          Matt, I wouldn't say my advice 'thus far' has not been helpful, I would say you and I were looking at different angles and you concluded what you did. I however did not follow through with my own ideas because it just seemed right for the OP to end/ omit where I did. It does not mean there was not scope for further investigation, which is rather different.

Comment

@Openlaw15

I respectfully disagree; advising the OP to counter-sue their Union if it doesn't take on their case - although sound in theory - was neither helpful nor practical.

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
                            Having the right to access justice is a legal/ constitutional right in modern democratic countries and employers cannot deny employees' rights to join unions or dismiss them owing to being members.
                            At no point did I say either employer denied the OP the right to join a union, or that the OP was dismissed as a result of union membership.

- Matt

Comment

"At no point did I say either employer denied the OP the right to join a union, or that the OP was dismissed as a result of union membership."

Here's what you said: "The Union might not want to get involved as you've now left the company, especially if the new employer doesn't recognise that particular Union."

You therefore alluded the Union couldn't/ wouldn't get involved as 1) union didn't want to get involved; 2) or new employer doesn't recognise a union. i merely pointed out that the Union has a duty to its member as per the union's constitutional rules notwithstanding the relevant statute/s, and pointed out an employer cannot deny an employee the right to join a union.

- - - Updated - - -

@Openlaw15

I respectfully disagree; advising the OP to counter-sue their Union if it doesn't take on their case - although sound in theory - was neither helpful nor practical.

At no point did I say either employer denied the OP the right to join a union, or that the OP was dismissed as a result of union membership.

- Matt
                              Did I expressly state verbatim for the OP to counter sue the union?

- - - Updated - - -

@Openlaw15

- Matt
                              If you want to debate points of law, this thread is the not the forum for that.

Comment

If you want to debate points of law, this thread is the not the forum for that.
                                Think that's about the most sensible thing said on here so far, why not start your own debate thread maybe in here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-Have-your-Say then when you have reached a right or wrong you will be able to actually help the OP.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X