• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Subject access request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject access request

I am thinking of submitting a DSAR to a former employer as I suspect they might have written me a bad reference.

Relations between myself and this particular employer can best be described as "sour". I fully suspect that they won't release all the information that I ask for. How can I be sure that they have given me all the information, and that this information hasn't been doctored?
    Tags: None

Re: Subject access request

Hi dastardley and welcome,
    Please have a read of your rights re references https://www.gov.uk/work-reference hope that clears this up for you

Comment

Good morning, welcome to LB.
      Have you requested a copy of the reference from the employer?

As to knowing if personal data has " been doctored" you will have
      to use your own judgement, then if you believe that personal data
      has been withheld you complain and refer it to the Information
      Commissioners Office.

nem

Comment

Many thanks for your reply!

Do you mean have I requested a copy from the employer receiving the reference (we'll call them BigCorp) or the employer who wrote the reference (we'll call them LittleCorp)?

I was told (by telephone) by BigCorp that "one of the references is not satisfactory". I asked if they could send me a copy and they said no. I also asked which employer wrote the reference in question (I had to supply several) and BigCorp said that they can't give me any further information.

I have seen that page on gov.uk- it's why I suspect that the bad reference might not have come from LittleCorp. Although my relations with LittleCorp were sour, I never had a disciplinary so my employment record is "clean". Although I know for a fact that LittleCorp were constantly looking for things that they could use in a gross misconduct charge against me.

The problem with LittleCorp is that I had more on them than they had on me, and they knew it. I was about to complain to the regulator about LittleCorp's actions/inactions when I was offered another job- this was 2 years ago- so I never went through with the complaint. I have been with my present employer (we'll call them MediumCorp) for 2 years and have a very good working relationship with them, but I was offered a better paying job with BigCorp so accepted. However the offer was withdrawn after references were received.

Comment

... I should add that before working for LittleCorp, I worked for NiceCorp and had a good working relationship with them too.

However an error of judgement whilst I was working my notice meant that they had to issue me with a disciplinary. This was for something that I could very legitimately challenged- and probably won, but because I was leaving, I didn't challenge it. This means that my employment record with NiceCorp has this disciplinary on it. This was 6 years ago, but because I left shortly after the disciplinary it has remained on my record. My leaving NiceCorp had nothing to do with the disciplinary- I was offered a job with LittleCorp long before the incident in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dastardley View Post
            Many thanks for your reply!

Do you mean have I requested a copy from the employer receiving the reference (we'll call them BigCorp) or the employer who wrote the reference (we'll call them LittleCorp)?

I was told (by telephone) by BigCorp that "one of the references is not satisfactory". I asked if they could send me a copy and they said no. I also asked which employer wrote the reference in question (I had to supply several) and BigCorp said that they can't give me any further information.

I have seen that page on gov.uk- it's why I suspect that the bad reference might not have come from LittleCorp. Although my relations with LittleCorp were sour, I never had a disciplinary so my employment record is "clean". Although I know for a fact that LittleCorp were constantly looking for things that they could use in a gross misconduct charge against me.

The problem with LittleCorp is that I had more on them than they had on me, and they knew it. I was about to complain to the regulator about LittleCorp's actions/inactions when I was offered another job- this was 2 years ago- so I never went through with the complaint. I have been with my present employer (we'll call them MediumCorp) for 2 years and have a very good working relationship with them, but I was offered a better paying job with BigCorp so accepted. However the offer was withdrawn after references were received.
            Your previous employer, if you have been denied a copy of the reference that is " reason" to make the SAR and if it's still denied then you complain to the ICO.
            I have seen request for references declined when subject to a SAR and said not to be " personal " data a stance I do not agree with.
            Nem

Comment

If you started work for the new employer you have a right to see that reference, as far as I'm aware you do not have a right to ask it from your previous employer. If you didn't start then that's something different. So Bigcorp as you call them should provide you with the references and not smallcorp.

The previous employer can refuse consent to disclose the reference, or at least the confidential information if it relates to something or someone else.

As always though where there is a cause of action, you can always ask the court to order disclosure with the appropriate fees if they refuse.

But I think the SAR should be directed at Bigcorp and within your letter mention all references given to Bigcorp - if they fail to supply all relevant documents then an explanation as to why they refused.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

My experiences with SAR's .....and believe me I have had a LOT..........I would ( if you can afford it) send an SAR to both and specifically ask your previous employer for a copy of the exact reference they sent to the prospective employer and one SAR to that said prospective employer asking for specifically the same........... sending information and data about a data subject is processing of data under the Data Protection Act 1998............receiving information even if nothing further is done with that information is classed as "processing" data.
                Therefore both must comply with an SAR.............you would then be able to compare the information to see if it has been " doctored" as you suspect............rest assured firms do "doctor/with hold information and data that is NOT subject to legal privilege......................

As I said you bare entitled to see the information that your previous employee disclosed to the potential employer ...AND entitled to see the information that the potential employer received, you are also entitled to request that both parties/companies destroy any information you believe is detrimental to you in any way, which if and when destroyed........ a certificate of destruction be given to you signed by an officer of the companies.

Sparkie
                Last edited by Sparkie1723; 14th December 2015, 13:16:PM. Reason: mistake in last sentence

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X