• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday pay rights when leaving in a zero hour contract with no notice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday pay rights when leaving in a zero hour contract with no notice.

Hi, I know that title is a little contrived, however I'm stuck in a bit of a rut.

I recently quit working in a restaurant (no contract signed) and asked for any remaining pay (incl. holiday). The owner got back to me stating that as I didnt give enough notice, I'm not entitled to my holiday pay or tronc (service charge). I don't really know much about workers rights, but this to me doesnt seem right.

As mentioned, this place doesn't provide contracts to new employees, nor is there a handbook stating employment terms and conditions. He also stated that part time employees must give a set amount of notice;
    firstly, when I started I was working 35+ hours a week and only recently had my hours lowered due to disagreements with the manager.
    secondly, without a contract, is the full-time/part time label valid?
    Thirdly, if no contract is signed stating amount of notice required, can I be penalised for not giving enough?

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, I'm not very good with words. Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Holiday pay rights when leaving in a zero hour contract with no notice.

How long did you work there?

Comment

April this year

Comment

I don't know how much notice you gave, but without a contract you only needed to give 1 week and full-time or part-time working has nothing whatsoever to do with notice periods.

Entitlement to payment for accrued untaken holiday pay on termination of employment also has nothing to do with notice periods. They must pay this.
        If you let us know the total number of hours you worked for this employer and how many hours of paid holiday you've already taken, we can work out the number of hours of accrued holiday pay that's due.

I'm not sure about the tronc payment. It would depend on how the tronc system works at that particular workplace.

Comment

Thanks for getting back so fast!

I gave less notice than that, but I thought, as I'm not under contract, I'm not contractually obliged to give any notice, giving one out of courtesy more than anything.

I know how much holiday pay I should be getting, i emailed the General Manager and he put it all through payropl , incl holiday. I haven't yet recieved any pay so emailed in and the owner replied saying I'm not entitled to the holiday or tronc.

Is it worth going to a citizens advice bureau?

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't paying proper attention to what you'd already written.

If you were on a zero hour contract you didn't need to give any notice at all. You just needed to say that you were no longer available.

I don't know what the CAB services are like in your area, so I can't advise whether they could help you.

Did you take any paid holiday while you worked there?

Comment

No worries!

Am I in the right in that case? I live in Hackney, London, I will have a look at them tomorrow. I was speaking to someone else about this and they said go to ACAS.

I did, I don't remember how long for but can find out. I also had some holiday pay added on to my pay 1 fortnight (how often we were paid) after my manager docked my hours and used it to increase my pay.

Comment

Yes, you are in the right about giving no notice.
                One of the main factors of a zero hours contract is that the mutuality of obligation between employer and worker (that would be present in a normal contract of employment) is absent.
                i.e. they don't have to provide you with work and you don't have to undertake the work that they do offer.
                So, notice periods from the worker or the employer are not required in these circumstances.

Here's a rough guide to holiday entitlement. ACAS's number is on page 2.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...ts/entitlement

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X