• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unpaid Hours whilst on call at night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid Hours whilst on call at night

Good Afternoon All,

I have just been made aware that i can claim unpaid wages from a Live in Care job 2007
    Basically, i worked 5 days a week, and worked from 8am until 9pm and then asleep, but on call, from 9pm until 8 am. I got paid for 35 hours per week, and didn't receive any payment for being On call overnight, or extra hours during the week. As i was required to stay on the premises overnight, wouldn't this be classed as working ?
    Is this legal ? Can i still make a claim ?
    Any advice appreciated

Many Thanks

Emma
    :juge:
    Last edited by emmajane72; 9th November 2015, 13:08:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Unpaid Hours whilst on call at night

Now this is difficult as a claim in a civil court is six years from cause of action, but you might get away with when you became aware of the issue

An Employment Tribunal i would say is a Definite No no due to the time limits in bringing a claim

I have to ask

Who made you aware of this and that you can claim??

Such things as night/on call allowance will be included in your orignal contract of employment as an express term

Live in jobs have special provisions outside of the Employment Rights Act and the Working Time Regulations

Comment

I was recently made a ware, by a family friend, who works for an advice centre.
      I was first made aware, by a staff member who was leaving, who said that, don't be surprised when you receive your wages, you wont get paid for all the hours you work !

Comment

Then unless your family friend has access to your contract of employment they need to keep their opinions to themselves

Comment

Can you explain exactly what your role was, i.e. were you employed by an individual to care for them in their own home, by a company to provide care in an individual's home, or by a company to provide care in a care home?In any case this seems terribly confusing.You were present from 8AM one day until 8AM the next day, for 5 days each week? Essentially you lived on the premises during the week.8AM-9PM is 13 hours, which over 5 days is 65 hours. If you were being paid for 35 hours I would assume you received 6 hours' unpaid break every day shift between 8AM and 9PM, which means you were actually only working for 7 hours between 8AM and 9PM. Is that correct?My basic understanding is that sleep-in shifts do count as working time, and employees should be paid at least the national minimum wage for this time. It's not quite as simple as that though and my advice would be to contact a legal advisor who can advise you better.
          Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X