• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Injured at work - Company without salary without notification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured at work - Company without salary without notification

Hi all,

It appears that I originally posted this in the wrong section, so apologies if you're reading this again.

Just a bit of background.

I work as a staff nurse for a private healthcare group in a hospital setting for people with neurological conditions.
    Last month I was injured at work whilst restraining a service user in order to provide personal care (all care planned and agreed on dignity grounds). It appears that during the restraint, I slipped on milkshake spilt by the service user that a member of staff had attempted to mop up, but failed to notify anyone else of the potential hazard. Anyway, I was dragged toward the service user, slipped and hyper-extended my knee causing instant pain and bruising/swelling.
    Various visits to the local A&E department and GP have resulted in a prolonged period of absence from work and an impending MRI scan to ascertain the extent of the damage. I am now able to weight bear, but any lateral movement causes instant pain and discomfort. On the top whack of some serious analagesia in order to get about too.

During the initial four weeks, the only 'support' from my employers has been in the form of emails pretty much saying 'How are you? Where's your sick note?', until I got invited to a welfare meeting last week. I attended with my line manager, the H&S manager and HR manager who all stated that I was not allowed to return to my nursing role unless my GP was 100% certain that I could carry out the physical aspects of my role without risk of further injury. Of course, my GP could not give that guarantee, so she issued another unfit for work certificate for a further two weeks to alow the MRI scan appointment to be come through.

On the day I was due to receive my salary, the company only paid me statutory sick pay (my normal monthly take-home salary is usually in excess of £2.3k), so I obviously made urgent enquiries with payroll and my line manager. I was told that the H&S manager decided to make deductions from my salary for my missed shifts whilst I have been off sick. However, the H&S manager had failed to inform me prior to the deduction.
    My contract of employment makes no reference to company sick pay due to work related injuries, but there is clear guidance in the company handbook (which I am led to believe forms part of an employee's contract of employment) which states following review by a senior manager, payment can be witheld, but only after the staff member has been informed of the review.

I have spoken with ACAS and started the early conciliation process with a view to proceeding to an employment tribunal as I believe that this constitutes an unlawful deduction in salary.

I need to stress that my concern is not whether I have entitlement to contractual sick pay, but the fact that the deductions have been made NOT in accordance with the company handbook.

Have we any employment law experts who can give me their take on this?

By the way, the injury aspect is also being looked at, but at present I need to feed my children!

Also, on a separate note, it soon became clear to me that I physically could not return to the same environment without placing myself at further risk of injury so expressed my intention to leave for another role completely different. I was told that I had to give the three months notice as per my CofE. I asked for some leniency (my CofE does stated that the period can be waived if mutually agreed), but no joy. At a welfare meeting held prior to receiving my salary I was informed that I could not return to the role unless I was deemed 100% fit by my GP, which she was not willing to do. The H&S manager has pretty much rendered me as incapable to earn money and not paying me for being sick. It feels as though I am being held to ransom.
    Tags: None

Re: Injured at work - Company without salary without notification

I will comment on this in a bit but i find identifying a patient as a "Service user" quite insulting

They are a human being, not a commodity, customer or bag of spuds

Nothing personal but i hate this "can do" attitude management speak of putting a value on a human being

Comment

With you returnng to work issues and the conflict with your GP and employer:

Occupational health can overturn a GP Fit note and you can ask for a referral

I think you have a definite grievance as you suffered an accident on duty so the reduction in pay to SSP is unreasonable in my opinion

What does the local trade union rep have to say??
      Last edited by judgemental24; 5th November 2015, 11:40:AM.

Comment

Apologies is you're offended by the term 'service user'. Offence to you or others was not my intention. I suppose 'client' would be more preferable.

My TU rep cannot see beyond that contractual sick pay is not an automatic entitlement when work related injuries are concerned. I completely get that it's not.
        My concern is that according to the employee handbook (which forms part of the contract of employment), following review the staff member should be informed of the decision prior to the deduction. I was not, despite opportunities to do so. I even had to make my point much more overt to my ACAS conciliator before she took it onboard.

Whether or not I was entitled to the pay is irrelevant. They did not follow written due process and should have informed me of the deduction prior to it being made. Had they done so, I would have made alternative arrangements for my bills to be paid. This is why I feel that it was an unlawful deduction.

It's even set out in part 13 of the Employment Rights Act 1996.
        (1)
        An employer shall not make a deduction from wages of a worker employed by him unless—
        (a)
        the deduction is required or authorised to be made by virtue of a statutory provision or a relevant provision of the worker’s contract, or
        (b)
        the worker has previously signified in writing his agreement or consent to the making of the deduction.

(2)
        In this section “relevant provision”, in relation to a worker’s contract, means a provision of the contract comprised—
        (a)
        in one or more written terms of the contract of which the employer has given the worker a copy on an occasion prior to the employer making the deduction in question, or
        (b)
        in one or more terms of the contract (whether express or implied and, if express, whether oral or in writing) the existence and effect, or combined effect, of which in relation to the worker the employer has notified to the worker in writing on such an occasion.

Comment

Does your contract state how long they will pay normal wages before SSP kicks in??

They do not have to inform you in advance downgrading you to SSP.
          They only have to inform you if they are taking back some sort of over payment of wages would this discussion be needed.
          Section 14 ERA 1996

Section 13 will not apply as SSP is an accepted deduction according to statute

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X