• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary after leaving post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary after leaving post

I left my nursing post in June 2014 but the employer began a disciplinary 5 mths later following receipt of a complaint. This has been going on since and i cannot find out if they are allowed to do this. They also say i have to comply with their disciplinary policy even though i am not employed by them. My union rep says they are acting outside the remit of their own policy.
    Anyone know for sure
    Tags: None

Re: Disciplinary after leaving post

If your contract of employment with the employer has been terminated,

Tell them you have no contractual obligation to comply with their request

Comment

Agreed with @judgemental24

Your contract terminated on the date you left their employment, the only clauses in the contract that would be still active would be ones that reference period after employment ends, such as restrictive covenants that prevent you working for competitors.

In your case disciplinary action can only be taken against employees, your contract ended and therefore you are not an employee, its completely irrelevant as to whether you were employed or not at the time referred to in the compliant made against you. However the medical board or whatever they call themselves would still be able to take action depending on nature of the complaint and type of nursing work etc.

I would write to them advising them that you are no longer a contracted employee of there's as your contract terminated on **/**/**, therefore you are under no obligations to partake in any fatuous and vexatious disciplinary process that they have no lawful/legal or contract grounds to carry out against you. It is completely irrelevant as to whether you were employed at the time that the complainant references in their compliant, not only that, as you were a representative of theirs at the time of employment with them, then legally they are vicariously liable and it is for them to settle the complaint with the complainant. Any attempt to carrying out this disciplinary action will be seen as harassment in breach of the protection from harassment act 1997, and any disclosure of this matter or outcome of such disciplinary procedure to 3rd parties, by way or mouth, or by inaccurate references will be treated as libel!

Also suggest to them to seek proper legal advise before deciding or such an ill advised course of action against yourself!

Also advise them that you here by order them to formally cease and desist in their actions and in processing your personal data in such a way as to cause you alarm and distress (harassment)!
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Should my union representative not know all this ? I think they are trying to protect me from being reported to the nursing midwifery council and losing my registration

Comment

What is the precise nature of the allegation?
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

3 minute access to patient notes to find out information relating to their safety. Patient WAS my best friend but she made the complaint 5 mths after the incident.

Comment

Ok, where you one of the nurses treating her? Why were you concerned for her safety?

Did you discuss your concerns with Doctor in charge?

Comment

I disagree with much of what is said above.

Your former employer had a legal duty to investigate the complaint (The Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009.) (Assuming you are in England - there are equivalent Regs for the other nations).

The investigation will establish the facts and if, in their view, whatever happened has an impact on your fitness to practice, they will report the matter to the NMC who will then do their own investigation..

It is right to say that it is up to you whether you participate in the investigation although the NMC are, in my experience, unlikely to look kindly on a refusal to co-operate.

Worst case is that findings are made against you without the benefit of your input and those are reported to the NMC along with details of your non-cooperation.

My own view is that it is in your own interests to co-operate with the process and that gives you the best chance of protecting your registration.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                  I disagree with much of what is said above.

Your former employer had a legal duty to investigate the complaint (The Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009.) (Assuming you are in England - there are equivalent Regs for the other nations).

The investigation will establish the facts and if, in their view, whatever happened has an impact on your fitness to practice, they will report the matter to the NMC who will then do their own investigation..

It is right to say that it is up to you whether you participate in the investigation although the NMC are, in my experience, unlikely to look kindly on a refusal to co-operate.

Worst case is that findings are made against you without the benefit of your input and those are reported to the NMC along with details of your non-cooperation.

My own view is that it is in your own interests to co-operate with the process and that gives you the best chance of protecting your registration.
                  Yes to investigate they have a legal obligation, but then so do all businesses/employers in respect of customers contractual terms and conditions or even under warranty terms for goods or services or under certain legislation/regulations such as Health and safety. But that doesn't mean they have the legal or contractual authority to discipline an employee who is no longer subject to their employment. The right to discipline employees ends when their contract is terminated, it does not carry over past the date of termination.

Basically they should be asking her to cooperate in their investigation and not call it a disciplinary, as they simply do not have the legal authority to carry out a disciplinary procedure against her! Referring to it as a disciplinary in such circumstances is a hostile and aggressive approach which is completely unreasonable on their part, as the reasonable course of action would be to invite her to cooperate in their investigation, which could be as simple as giving a statement in response to the allegation made!

The above legislation applies solely to the local body or Health service or their CEO (responsible person) not to employees and in no way does it give such bodys the legal authority to discipline non employees or those no longer employed by them!

Also we do not yet no the circumstances as to if the OP had the right to access said notes, if she was one of the nurses providing care etc.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                    Basically they should be asking her to cooperate in their investigation and not call it a disciplinary, as they simply do not have the legal authority to carry out a disciplinary procedure against her! Referring to it as a disciplinary in such circumstances is a hostile and aggressive approach which is completely unreasonable on their part, as the reasonable course of action would be to invite her to cooperate in their investigation, which could be as simple as giving a statement in response to the allegation made!

The above legislation applies solely to the local body or Health service or their CEO (responsible person) not to employees and in no way does it give such bodys the legal authority to discipline non employees or those no longer employed by them!
                    I agree it is clumsy to call it a disciplinary investigation, much more accurate to describe it as a complaint investigation.

However, the potential consequences remain as I set out.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                      I agree it is clumsy to call it a disciplinary investigation, much more accurate to describe it as a complaint investigation.

However, the potential consequences remain as I set out.
                      Agreed, it doesn't change the potential consequences if the OP is referred to the NMC.

And it is wrong of them to being carrying out a disciplinary process of referring to it as such, when they have no contractual right to perform a disciplinary process in regards to the OP!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X