• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

medal refusal-discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medal refusal-discrimination?

Here's a question I can't find an answer to ;-)

Would refusal of a long service and good conduct medal usually awarded after 20 years service, be discrimination, if your disability caused you to face a discipline sanction. In this case less than 6 months away from 20 years.

Employer concedes disability.
    Tags: None

Re: medal refusal-discrimination?

Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
    Here's a question I can't find an answer to ;-)

Would refusal of a long service and good conduct medal usually awarded after 20 years service, be discrimination, if your disability caused you to face a discipline sanction. In this case less than 6 months away from 20 years.

Employer concedes disability.
    Who is the employer?

Such medals are awarded in the military and the award is made on the basis as the title suggest on long service and " good conduct"
    not seen any withheld award challenges in recent times.

nem

Comment

Sorry don't really want to mention service, although not armed forces. I understand equality act does not apply to military.

In your opinion is it disability discrimination, seeing as sickness is not counted the same as non- disabled person.

I guess I would need to appeal to the Queen.

Comment

Sorry don't really want to mention service, although not armed forces. I understand equality act does not apply to military.

In your opinion is it disability discrimination, seeing as sickness is not counted the same as non- disabled person.

I guess I would need to appeal to the Queen.
        I think /guessing that the protocols for such an award are fairly strict in any employment in which such awards are made the view may be that any disciplinary within the 20 year period but especially recent ones will have an effect on any award if the person is disabled or not.

An awards " committee " reviews such proposed awards, but they are not given as a right.

nem,

Comment

I have a good idea which service you work in, is this a sanction for sickness or disciplinary?

Comment

For discipline. however there are others that have disciplines that I know, one got his medal, the other was told it wouldn't stop him getting his.

Comment

Tu rep for 14 years in all this time I have never known anyone with a disciplinary sanction in my particular service get the good conduct medal, sorry if this is not the answer you wanted

Comment

Just as an add on to that people are normally put forward for this by their senior managers (sector) it is possible that they have just not mentioned this to the awarding body if someone is shall we say favoured by them as this is all based on trust from the awarding body not by checks

Comment

As I said before, there have been people with a discipline that have been awarded this medal.

I am pursuing this, but wondered if anyone had any real life experience of this happening.

I myself believe that an illness under the equality act leading to the discipline makes the non issue therefore discrimination.

Prima facia being the two people I know of still getting theirs despite having a discipline.

As to the discipline happening after 19yrs 6months, surely that shows that up to now conduct was good untill this illness.

My only problem is that the eq act is really meant to keep people in work and might not be something the tribunal would look at.

There is no award body that arranges this, I have been told I have not been put forward as I have the discipline. This is a medal from the Queen.

Comment

As I said before, there have been people with a discipline that have been awarded this medal.

I am pursuing this, but wondered if anyone had any real life experience of this happening.

I myself believe that an illness under the equality act leading to the discipline makes the non issue therefore discrimination.

Prima facia being the two people I know of still getting theirs despite having a discipline.

As to the discipline happening after 19yrs 6months, surely that shows that up to now conduct was good untill this illness.

My only problem is that the eq act is really meant to keep people in work and might not be something the tribunal would look at.

There is no award body that arranges this, I have been told I have not been put forward as I have the discipline. This is a medal from the Queen.
                    HM receives recommendations for awards if no such recommendation is made there can be no award.

nem

Comment

Sorry if I did not make my post clear I was trying to say that you are put forward for yours queens medal it isn't automatic I am not aware of an appeals procedure I dealt with a member of mine that 18 years front line service he took a position within command/control and did not get his as its only for front line staff he we were told at that time there was no appeal

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X