• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy Threat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy Threat

Hi,

I was told that my job is under threat of redundancy on 23/10/14 and that there would be a 4 week consultation process before I would find out. If I am to be made redundant then I will be given notice on 23/11/14 and be given 7 weeks notice.

My confusion is surrounding the new roles that are now advertised and which I'm told I can apply for.

Is it normal practice to be asked to apply for a job with a closing date BEFORE I even know if my role is being made redundant? The closing date for applications is 15/11/14 which is a full week before I will know if my job has gone (which it obviously has). Also - if I apply and I get the job will that mean I do not get the redundancy payment - even though my role is being made redundant.

I've not been offered the new role and it has gone out to advertising now both internally and externally and I have to apply and provide my CV like everyone else. Strange after nearly 8 years service. How does this impact on things?

Thanks for any help. I'm not up to speed with redundancy laws and need to find out where I stand before I decide if I should apply for the new roile or not.

Cheers

Stu
    Tags: None

Re: Redundancy Threat

Originally posted by Stoop View Post
    Hi,

I was told that my job is under threat of redundancy on 23/10/14 and that there would be a 4 week consultation process before I would find out. If I am to be made redundant then I will be given notice on 23/11/14 and be given 7 weeks notice.

My confusion is surrounding the new roles that are now advertised and which I'm told I can apply for.

Is it normal practice to be asked to apply for a job with a closing date BEFORE I even know if my role is being made redundant? The closing date for applications is 15/11/14 which is a full week before I will know if my job has gone (which it obviously has).
    There's a long way between a job application and starting work. You may not be chosen for this new role and even if you were, you are not obliged to accept. I suspect the recruitment process will last longer than a week so by the time you got a job offer (if you were lucky to be selected), you'd know whether you were made redundant or not. They are probably looking for someone to start in January.

Also - if I apply and I get the job will that mean I do not get the redundancy payment - even though my role is being made redundant.
    If this new job is with the same company you wouldn't get redundancy pay.

I've not been offered the new role and it has gone out to advertising now both internally and externally and I have to apply and provide my CV like everyone else. Strange after nearly 8 years service. How does this impact on things?

Thanks for any help. I'm not up to speed with redundancy laws and need to find out where I stand before I decide if I should apply for the new roile or not.
    It all depends on how you feel about the company you work for, if you're happy to carry on working for them then why not apply for the new role. Otherwise just wait for your redundancy to come through and look for an external job in the meantime. :decision:

Comment

Thanks - much appreciated. Luckily the pay off isn't huge so I guess I haven't much to lose if I apply, get the job and then turn it down if one of my other applications is successful.

The thing is that I think they really want me to stay and could have really just offered me the new role as I have done 95% of that role before. I find it odd to have to apply for a job that they know I am more than capable of doing and the only person who can do my own job (which is more than 50% of th new role) to the level that I can.

Part of me thinks "stuff them" but unless I get another job offer before the 15th I guess I'll just have to apply.

Comment

Thanks.

So. - if I apply and get the job I could still turn it down and get my redundancy?

Seems like a plan even though I have decided I probably want to move on. I guess it keeps my options open ��

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X