• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair dismissal following allegation of inflated mileage claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unfair dismissal following allegation of inflated mileage claims

Originally posted by Gasbo View Post
    Sorry , I forgot to say I had no disciplinary matters in my 30 + years
    This is possibly the craziest dismissal I've heard of in a long time! Given your length in service. Can I ask how old you are? What type of business does your employer undertake?

Comment

I did receive a copy of the electronic claims but the addresses had been edited
      Ok, apologies, how would you be able to justify your claims if you haven't been given the full information? Although I guess the employer will argue DPA issues with giving addresses, postcodes shouldn't be an issue though in my view.

Comment

The inflated mileage is each day over a period of months . I am 54 years old and don't even possess my own phone, I am not comfortable with technology and at this stage would prepare not to say who my employer was

Comment

It sounds like you have the best help from your TU. Perhaps go through the points about providing you with the right information to enable you to defend your case with your rep.

I just think there is something not right here, some reason they've done this. I smell a rat. With that length of service and a relatively minor issue in terms of value. If it was over inflated by a lot of miles I could understand but given your previous conduct, I just don't get it.

I didn't want to know the name of the company, just the nature of the business.

Comment

Sorry orfoster I couldn't even say the nature of the business at present, it would be too obvious. It is classed as gross misconduct which results in dismissal

Comment

I haven't got all of the paperwork but it is between 1 and 10 miles inflated 5 - 20 percent over a period of months. I haven't had my odometer checked, what is the chance of it being wrong. Would I just take the car to the garage and speak to a mechanic?
              With the sort of discrepancy you mention your odometer is unlikely to be at fault.
              Discrepancies will occur because of the difficulties in finding the most direct route.
              Sometimes you will know the area and travel the route you would normally use perhaps because it's quicker but not necessarily the shortest
              Also Google won't always recognise one way streets, and will not be aware of roadworks, accidents and other temporary diversions.
              Your employer IMO is using a most unfair way to calculate mileages

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X