• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Forced to accept trolling - what protection does an employee have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to accept trolling - what protection does an employee have?

I would appreciate some advice on the duties of employers for staff welfare in the digital age. I know a young man who works for a major gaming organisation and is responsible for managing/developing a popular online game including liaison with the online community of users. He lives alone on very low pay and works very long hours. In return he gets daily abuse from users of the game all over the world - dozens of vile, personal and threatening comments every day. As you might expect this becomes a heavy psychological burden - but the attitude seems to be that stopping it is too difficult and that it goes with the territory if you are in the online gaming world.

Does an employer have any duty of care towards an employee in situations like this? Sure there is some rough and tumble to online forums but it strikes me that expecting employees to take this sort of abuse will not be acceptable in the future, even if it is at the present.

Anyone have any thoughts about what if anything can be done - and what should be expected of the employer? Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Forced to accept trolling - what protection does an employee have?

An employer does have a duty of care to prevent exposure to bullying and harassment.

A simple suggestion would be to give him the facility to remove/block any such messages with the possibility of a 3 strikes you're out message being sent to the culprits.

Have a read of this publication and come back with any further questions
    Attached Files
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Policing the internet is extremely hard.
      An employer does have a duty of care to do all that is REASONABLE to protect his employee.
      That is the bug-bare, the word reasonable.
      Three strikes and out is OK, but it is so easy to change your IP address, and thus make it near impossible for an employer to do anything.
      The employee should consider changing his job, as it appears the employer is taking the P*** in expecting his employee to be paid peanuts, and put up with all the crap he does.
      JB
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Changing IP is one thing, but if the account holder has an account - as this is an online gaming community - it would be banning/removing the account, something the user would be a little more protective of losing.

To give an example based on this forum, if for example ( and I'm sure you wouldn't Johnboy ) you were to harass another member, each time being given a strike, you would lose all previous messages, reputation, post count etc that go with your account. Yes you could create another account and start again, but would the hassle be worth it knowing your email address, IP and other details would have to be altered to access?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

I can see where you're coming from Tools, but it is so easy to set up as many email addresses as needed, and IP addresses are no problem what-so-ever.
          I think the problem lies with the fact that all this is easy to set up.
          So for an employer or owner of a web site to police the internet satisfactory, would be almost impossible.
          I could change my IP address at the click of a button.
          Email addresses are ten a penny and to expect owners of LB (as an example) to be able to trace and guarantee that I would not be able to pop up somewhere else, is not feasible.
          Whoever is sending the comments to the young man, could easily set up a new account so that he could continue to play the game. And a false account/s to continue sending the comments.
          Seems to me that the young man should have extra training in dealing with this sort of thing, and extra money for putting up with it.
          He should also be made aware, that unless the troublemakers have his personal details, such as home address. They cannot hurt him other than mentally, if he lets them.
          It's just like cyber bullying, the bully only has power if the victim allows him/her too.
          :tinysmile_twink_t2:
          “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Yes I know emails and IP's are easily changed, but believe me Johnboy, I can tell if I need to, there are lots of other ways that I won't go into as I use these methods for the eBay etc scammers too.

Comment

Firstly I must apologise for not responding much earlier - but thank you very much for your comments on this post - much appreciated. Very difficult situaiton and I expect it will be one of those situations that occur in new industries where the technology has run ahead of employment practices.

Thanks very much indeed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X