• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Invited to an Investigation Meeting without prior Information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invited to an Investigation Meeting without prior Information

I work in the social care field on a zero hour contract. I work at different projects across the company. After returning home from my shift I received a call from the manager requesting a meeting this week. The manager declined to give me a reason for requesting me to attend a meeting with her by stating “she is not able to give information on the phone at this stage”. This immediately made me suspicious. I informed her by text that I can attend the meeting but I need to be made aware of the context of the meeting. I have yet to receive a response.

Today, I telephoned HR. I queried with on the advisor is what circumstances would someone be asked to attend a meeting. This advisor took my details – he said he could not see anything on my files. He asked me for the manager’s name and said he would get back to shortly. I did not hear back from him.

I contacted HR again – At first they said advisor were not available because everybody was in a meeting and suggested I call back. I contacted them for the third time. The informed me that she couldn’t give me much advise because she didn’t enough information. She suggested I call my manager to seek some clarity.

My manager unavailable to but I spoke to a more senior manager. He said the meetings in an investigatory meeting in relation to one of the service users care but he isn’t able to say more than that. He said the meeting should last more than 30 minutes.

I am very scared, as I have never experienced anything like this. I do not want to be sacked.

Can anybody advise me whether I have to attend this meeting without being informed of my alleged misconduct?

Please share your advice and tips.
    Tags: None

Re: Invited to an Investigation Meeting without prior Information

Hi,
    At this stage, and on the information you provide. It is just a meeting.
    Your employer is not allowed to hold a disciplinary meeting without first notifying you of any accusation/charge, and giving you required time to prepare a defence.

Zero hours workers have the same employment rights as regular workers, although they may have breaks in their contracts, which affect rights that accrue over time.

Below is the ACAS code of practice on Disciplinary procedures.
    Although an employer doesn't have to legally follow it, it can backfire on them if they don't.

When you go to your meeting, a word of advice. Do not say anything that may incriminate you.
    Take a pen and paper with you and make notes.
    If the question is awkward, just say, "I prefer not to answer at this time", or "no comment".
    If the meeting is to discuss allegations of actions taken by you, then ask for a postponement in order for you to be accompanied by a work colleague.
    Attached Files
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Unfortunately, vast majority of investigation meetings are held to build grounds for gross misconduct. It's part of a process to get someone fired.

However, they will need a valid reason to sack on grounds of gross misconduct. If you haven't done anything wrong, no need to worry. Also, be careful of what you say. Sometimes they try to use anything against you like:

- So you have been working here for a number of years now and you don't understand the company procedures
      - I never said that I don't understand. I am aware of this policy and have acted accordingly in good faith

Then a termination letter arrives saying, he/she has shown clear understanding of the company procedures and policies...

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X