• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Change of employment contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of employment contract

My current employer's are planning to change my contract. At the moment I work every other weekend. They company has recently made a person redundant and are planning on asking me to work every weekend which would involve a change in hours, days and essentially job title. The way think they can get around it is in my contract it does state a 'flexibility clause' for the benifit of the company's needs. Can they do this and if so am I entitles to notice of change of contract.

Cheers
    Tags: None

Re: Change of employment contract

Yes they can definitely do this I'm afraid. It would be nice of them to give you a reasonable amount of notice but they are under no real statutory duty to do so, especially if there is a clause in the contract that allows them to make changes such as this.
    Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Employers can only use flexibility clauses to make reasonable changes

An employer still has to go through the statutory notice period of consulatation before changing a contract of employment

An employer is expected to give a reasonable notice before he changes the contract for a full time employee, which may vary depending upon the level of changes being introduced.

Generally, the notice period is normally equivalent to the notice period that the employee is entitled to under the terms of his contract of employment so that if he doesn't agree to the changes and claims constructive dismissal, the employment doesn't have to pay in lieu of notice.

This is different if immediate changes are to be introduced in which case the employer is expected to give a reasonable notice as deemed necessary.

Comment

Also I have been on holiday the last 3 weeks. Whilst away 5 members of my team where asked to give ha ago at this job so the rotas can stay the same I.e weekend in weekend off, the all one by one refused to do it and now it will be pushed on to me. Can I just refuse if all the other lads have

Comment

No changes are instigated before the consultation period ends, otherwise what is the point of a consultation period?? How many people will this change of contractual terms directly have an effect on if introduced??

Has the employer formally announced a consultatiuon period, do you have a work place spokesman or Trade Union

Comment

It appears to just be me it will affect. I don't get how 5 other people can blatantly refuse to do this job yet it can be pushed on to me. No consultation period as of yet. Will find out more on Monday when I am in.

Quick back story. I work 10 days on 4 days off. Which is Monday to the following Wednesday. So if I have to work every weekend it will mean having Mondays and Thursday off. I have recently got married and we are trying for a child and these changes will have a negative effect on my life.

Comment

You need to be requesting that if this change is implemented, for Family Friendly hours. You need to make the request in writing and they must respond to that request with a decision. They cannot refuse.

They will also need to do an Equality Impact Assessment. Staff members may be protected under the Equality Act, or Disabiliity by association,

That is why you must have the consultation period.
              Last edited by ironman; 21st June 2014, 14:41:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X