• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Why some recruiters are the lowest form of life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why some recruiters are the lowest form of life

From my personal experience, estate agents are angels compared to recruitment consultants. This is probably due to the fact that I've only had to deal with estate agents on a couple of occasions but regularly get contacted by recruiters.

Old habits die hard. There simply isn't that much need to use a recruitment agencies now that candidates can easily be searched on various internet based jobsites. Some companies are now waking up and smelling the coffee. My previous client hired two people specifically to manage talent i.e. source candidates on Linked-In etc. My current client also hired me directly and put me on their payroll.

So why do I hate recruiters so much? Well, first of all, they always ring you when you can't or don't want to take a call. They never ring you when you are actually looking for work!

Secondly, they always ring with this sense of urgency: 'My client really needs someone to start next week / asap / tomorrow'. In fact, in most cases recruitment process takes weeks, even months and most recruiters fail to understand their clients' needs. Their urgency is purely to avoid another recruiter sending a suitable candidate first.

Thirdly, they like patronising: 'I am trying to help you here to find a job, it's a great opportunity, don't be silly, so you're putting a temporary job before this interview. Just tell them you got a doctor's appointment or something...'.

Once you've actually got an interview, some recruiters can't even manage to get a time right. This has happened to me but - guess what - they blamed me even when I had an email to show them their mistake!

Ok, you go to your interview. Then you never here back even when the recruiter promised to let you know as soon as they had any news, even in case of a 'no'. I have now started a new practice, if a recruiter fails to pass me the news I simply email the person who interviewed me directly, pointing out the recruiter's ignorance!

If, however, you're successful then they are even worse than DCAs. I had one guy who rang literally every two hours until I accepted the offer. He got it all wrong. As the travelling would have taken five hours every day, I had to pull out at the last minute. I can only imagine how pissed off he must have been!

This is not to say that there aren't any good recruiters. A couple of them are excellent but unfortunately most are substandard and they tell porkies to their clients too.
    Tags: None

Re: Why some recruiters are the lowest form of life

I have very little experience of recruiters. Exactly how do they make their money? Do they get something from your pay or are they paid separately by the employer?
    Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonica View Post
      I have very little experience of recruiters. Exactly how do they make their money? Do they get something from your pay or are they paid separately by the employer?
      They get paid by the employer. For permanent placements, they get a percentage of your annual salary, on the basis that you'd stay at least a year. Sometimes this can be in installments, i.e. at 3, 6, 9 and finally 12 months employment. If you resign or get sacked before the 12 months, the agency wouldn't get the full commi$$ion.

For temps, they pay you a certain daily or hourly rate and charge their clients a higher rate, the difference goes to cover their overheads and profits. :wof:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
        For permanent placements, they get a percentage of your annual salary, on the basis that you'd stay at least a year.
        So this wouldn't actually be out of your salary. The employer just pays a percentage of what your salary is, right?
        Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonica View Post
          So this wouldn't actually be out of your salary. The employer just pays a percentage of what your salary is, right?
          You are correct!

You are quoted a salary, which you receive in full (minus official deductions) from your employer. The recruiter invoices your employer for their services, which would be a previously agreed percentage of your salary.

Comment

Further recruiter bad practices include quoting an umbrella rate rather than PAYE when placing temporary candidates. This is misleading at best, criminal at worst. Umbrella rate is the same as a limited company rate i.e. includes absolutely everything i.e. holiday pay and employer's national insurance. A minimum wage calculated this way would be just over Ł8!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr $quandaŁot View Post
              Further recruiter bad practices include quoting an umbrella rate rather than PAYE when placing temporary candidates. This is misleading at best, criminal at worst. Umbrella rate is the same as a limited company rate i.e. includes absolutely everything i.e. holiday pay and employer's national insurance. A minimum wage calculated this way would be just over Ł8!
              What law are they breaking to argue this is criminal? :noidea: You are quoted a rate, you have the option to accept or decline the booking.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                What law are they breaking to argue this is criminal? :noidea: You are quoted a rate, you have the option to accept or decline the booking.
                I'm not sure if it's legal to quote an umbrella / limited company rate without specifying it? It is like quoting an annual salary of Ł30k, then say 'by the way, you don't get paid for your holidays and you will have to pay employer's NI contributions top of the usual reductions'!

I'm trying to find an employment lawyer to look into this. Anyone on LB?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X