• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy rules

All,

I am new to this forum and I was hoping you learned folks could provide your thoughts on the following:

A friend left his job in the financial sector to join the NHS. Three weeks into the role he’s been informed that his role is about to be made redundant and there are no suitable alternatives.

During the individual redundancy consultation, on questioning the senior manager that hired him, confirmed that she was aware that an internal re-structure review had begun before he joined and his role had been identified as one of those at risk. She said she failed to mention this during recruitment because she thought it “might not happen” (even though the new structure had already gone through a number of approvals.)

Obviously my friend is quite upset - having left a very successful career in finance and not to be told by his new employer (NHS) the job being offered was at risk.

Is it permissible for an employer to withhold such a key piece of information when hiring? Does my friend have a legal remedy available to him?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Redundancy rules

Any thoughts guys?

Comment

I would not have thought so, while the manager may have been aware of a potential restucture because decisions had not been made and consultations, discussions and annoucements had not been made they would not have been able to tell your friend. I agree its not cricket but that is all.

Comment

Looks like that's the end of the Job its an unfair situation but The Manager may have not known everything as Redundancies may be out of his remit .

Comment

The manager knew his role was at risk, the new structure had gone through the majority of the approval process and just needed final sign-off. She just assumed it may not happen.

Surely this is some form of misrepresentation?

Comment

What would you expect them to give you If the job has gone?
            we would all hope of a result for you but really think its time to find another job sorry to say

Comment

Apologies if I was unclear, this relates to a friend, rather than me. But I agree it's time to look for another job (which I believe he is doing).

The fact that their deliberate actions resulted the loss of his income (i'm sure he would not have left his previous job had he been advised of the true situation) must mean they are also liable for the resultant damages cause by that misrepresentation?

Comment

Would have to be a court case?
                Best to consult an expert in Employment Law problem is this will cost do they think they want to pursue this

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X