• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Forced to do work not related to skills and experience.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to do work not related to skills and experience.

Hello,
    I work as a Systems Administrator for a company that also provides staff for one of the biggest shops. Two or three times a year the big shop runs sale and our company requests (read - forces) everyone from Head Office to support them during the sale period. There are various reasons why I do not want to do it. Main reasons are that the job differs a lot from what I was employed to do. I was hired to look after the company's servers and they force me to sell shoes and face customers, the company also requires a suit which I do not have and do not want to spend extra money to wear it once. Bad back does not help with long standing either. On top of that I really hate being forced to do things I do not want to do so pretty sure it will be a miserable experience and will result in a disaster so nobody will be happy. I do not mind doing something different from my contracted to help others and often did that but I need to be sure I am capable of doing it right.

That thing was never mentioned to me during the recruitment process and I only found out about it after my probationary period has finished. My manager said that it is in my contract which only contains general terms which I had before and was never asked to do anything that would differ so much from the job I was required to do.

'You may be required to transfer to another location, according to the needs of the business, providing the distance involved is reasonable.
    The Company also reserves the right to vary your hours and/or days of work as and when required.'

Above is the only thing I found in my contract that could be connected to me working elsewhere so just wondering if I can simply refuse without facing a disciplinary procedure. What do you think? Any suggestions appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Forced to do work not related to skills and experience.

That thing was never mentioned to me during the recruitment process and I only found out about it after my probationary period has finished. My manager said that it is in my contract which only contains general terms which I had before and was never asked to do anything that would differ so much from the job I was required to do.
    Whilst 'other duties' is a common add-in to employment contracts, it can only be stretched so far. Systems Administrator to shoe salesman is too great a leap. If they want that, then they should have said so at the time.

How long/many times have you acquiesced in this?

Comment

Re: Forced to do work not related to skills and experience.

Thanks for your response.
      Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      Systems Administrator to shoe salesman is too great a leap.
      Cannot agree more. I generally like helping people and sometimes do things that are out of my responsibilities but this does not sound like something I would like to do.

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      How long/many times have you acquiesced in this?
      I went for an induction but never went to sale. Sale events happened 3 times so far and I always told my manager that I am not willing to go - he agrees with me on this but also says that it is what I have in my contract and there may be a time when I have to go. He managed to sort it out for me and some others this time again but still some people from our and other departments have to go and reluctantly will do so.

The place is generally OK. Only that thing seemed to be a little out of order and I am just wondering where do I stand legally and what actions can be taken against me if I strongly refuse to go.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X