• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Young apprentice in dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young apprentice in dilemma

Hello all,

i have been been at my engineering company for 3 years and I am 19 years old.
    The past 6-9 months I have not been given adequate work, really just enough to fill up half my week.

To my surprise I was told to attend a capability procedure hearing with a HR rep and my line manager. The outcome of this was a written warning to my surprise as I felt this was very harsh and an obvious tactic to cover themselves to set me up for laying me off. I did not appeal as I didn't want to cause any friction .

this was 4 weeks ago and the work I have been given has been less frequent and I have really been ignored and no work provided which I have noted in my time sheet.

i was given another letter on Friday to attend another capability meeting this Friday with my line manager and another senior manager. I refused to this as I wanted a HR rep present . This has now been granted.

from my work mates I have been told a boy who was in the same job me before has nearly the exact same situation.

im in a dilemma on whether to resign as I have only 6 months contractually or work out a mutual agreement but how much money would I be compensated for?

any help would be great

thank you in advance Haffie.
    Tags: None

Re: Young apprentice in dilemma

What do you mean when you say 'I have only six months contractually'?

Also, what is their justification for suggesting that should be placed on a capability procedure? Are you a permanent employee or are you on a 4 year contract as a lot of apprentices are?
    Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonica View Post
      What do you mean when you say 'I have only six months contractually'?

Also, what is their justification for suggesting that should be placed on a capability procedure? Are you a permanent employee or are you on a 4 year contract as a lot of apprentices are?
      Hi thanks for the reply.

I am on an apprentice scheme which is due to run out in December which will end my 4 year stint.
      the reasons for my capability procedure was work not getting done adequately and on time which is ironic as I have raised that I don't feel I get enough.

Comment

The outcome says on the letter that it is likely to be a final written warning

Comment

Are you supposed to be building a portfolio and if so are they giving you the work so that you can do so?

Have you asked them how on earth can an apprentice be placed on a capability procedure? You're supposed to be learning.

If your work is not up to scratch then please ask them to help you with this as that is what they're supposed to be doing.
          Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Are you supposed to be building a portfolio and if so are they giving you the work so that you can do so?

Have you asked them how on earth can an apprentice be placed on a capability procedure? You're supposed to be learning.

If your work is not up to scratch then please ask them to help you with this as that is what they're supposed to be doing.
            Thats why I'm puzzled not too sure why I should be on one?
            i told the head HR I feel victimised and I'm getting pushed out company due to unsufficient work being provided.

i am currently looking for other jobs as I don't feel very good about staying and think I will regret it in future. Do you know what I would be due payment wise if I was to quit or ask us to come to a mutual agreement?

Thanks again, haffie

Comment

From what you've said I don't see how you get anything other than your wages for the month if you quit. I would not be too optimistic that you're in a position to come to an settlement agreement.

If they're not giving you the work that is a part of your training then you may have a claim for breach of contract, especially if they're now threatening you with disciplinary action. You could put this to them and see if it changes their position. But because you're under contract only until December your claim wouldn't be worth much.

Put the onus on them. Don't just allow them to claim that you're incapable and discipline you for it without getting them to explain why they haven't done more to support you, given that you're supposed to be learning and they should be helping you not disciplining you.

Comment

From what you've said I don't see how you get anything other than your wages for the month if you quit. I would not be too optimistic that you're in a position to come to an settlement agreement.

If they're not giving you the work that is a part of your training then you may have a claim for breach of contract, especially if they're now threatening you with disciplinary action. You could put this to them and see if it changes their position. But because you're under contract only until December your claim wouldn't be worth much.

Put the onus on them. Don't just allow them to claim that you're incapable and discipline you for it without getting them to explain why they haven't done more to support you, given that you're supposed to be learning and they should be helping you not disciplining you.
                Could be worth 6 months lost earnings - But then by the sounds of it, they want to give a final first and then wait another 4 weeks before dismissing on capability grounds. So then it would be 5 months lost wages if the OP was successful in claiming breach of contract.

I would suggest the OP contacts ACAS along with threaten the employer with breach of contract as you suggested Harmonica - That way ACAS will contact the employer on the OP's behalf, and when they do the employer will recall the breach of contract threat and assume he is being deadly serious too, now Acas are calling.
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X