• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

advice on warnings please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on warnings please

Good evening.
    This morning i had my contract terminated by my employer due to a silly error on my part whilst on a "final warning"

The problem is i never recieved confirmation of the final warning. Only a verbal conversations in which it was stated i would recieve the warning in the next few days.

I brought the lack of written confirmation up with my line manager and he saud he would be in touch with HR and they would send it to me in the post. And still nothing. And whilst this has been going on i made a silly error and have terminated my contract because i was on a final warning. my question is. Do i need to recieve written confirmation of a final written warning for it to be 'live' as they call it at work? Or am i clutching at straws?

Thanks for your help

Re: advice on warnings please

Sorry to hear of your dismissal - were the 2 errors for similar offences or totally different from each other. How long have you been employed.

Comment

Morning

I guess you could say they were. They were both paperwork based errors

Comment

And i was employed since november 2012 so around 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by fordstrum View Post
          And i was employed since november 2012 so around 18 months
          I am sure someone else could give advice over the time limits for claiming unfair dismissal, but I think you had to be employed for 2 years in order to make a claim. The thing is about the mistakes were they minor or major errors. If they cost the company money this would be grounds for dismissal by a 'reasonable' employer. May be worth giving ACAS a call or one of the free solicitor consultations. I take it you are not in a union.

Comment

Originally posted by fordstrum View Post
            . my question is. Do i need to recieve written confirmation of a final written warning for it to be 'live' as they call it at work? Or am i clutching at straws?

Thanks for your help
            yes you do !
            your employer should not have given you a final warning or have your job terminated
            until they have gone thought the disciplinary procedure set out in your company's handbook.

Disciplinary steps

Your employer’s disciplinary procedure should include the following steps:
            • A letter setting out the issue.
            • A meeting to discuss the issue.
            • A disciplinary decision.
            • A chance to appeal this decision.

https://www.gov.uk/disciplinary-proc...rocedures-work

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1041

3. Disciplinary hearings

Your employer shouldn’t take any disciplinary action before meeting with you first and discussing the problem
            This disciplinary meeting (normally called a ‘hearing’) should be at a reasonable time and place.
            At the hearing your employer should:
            • explain the complaint against you
            • go through the evidence
            • give you a chance to tell your side of the story

If you raise a significant new fact or issue at the hearing your employer might stop it and look into the issue. They should then rearrange the hearing at a later date.

https://www.gov.uk/disciplinary-procedures-and-action-at-work/disciplinary-hearings
            Last edited by vanman; 15th May 2014, 21:14:PM.
            Don't let them grind you down

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X