• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

disciplinary hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disciplinary hearing

The manager of a store has been sacked due to misconduct - taking money from the safe to buy goods but goods never surfaced. My husband was his assistant who had to countersign the petty cash receipt and did so on trust and at that point no goods had been collected so all was in good faith. Since the manager was sacked a new manager has been put in place and instantly asked my husband to think about his position in the company which flummoxed him as hes worked their for 5 years plus with never any question of ability or trust. He has now been asked to a hearing and then to a disclipinary action due to not challenging his previous manager with regard to cash/invoices, whilst he accepts he was foolish after the event he feels he had no reason to mistrust the senior manager or question him.
    I think they have just revamped the store, got a new manager and are looking to bring in all new staff as quite a few have or are being given letters of concern etc.

Does my husband have any ground for appeal
    Tags: None

Re: disciplinary hearing

Originally posted by caronr View Post
    He has now been asked to a hearing and then to a disclipinary action due to not challenging his previous manager with regard to cash/invoices, whilst he accepts he was foolish after the event he feels he had no reason to mistrust the senior manager or question him.
    Why would your husband challenge his superior in this fashion? Is it normal practice to do so? What is company policy? Any documents?

Is it a 'fact finding' meeting or the full thing? If it's a full disciplinary hearing, then has there been any preliminary enquiry? Is your husband in a union? If so, this should be your first stop.

As nothing has as yet happened, there is nothing to appeal from.

I think they have just revamped the store, got a new manager and are looking to bring in all new staff as quite a few have or are being given letters of concern etc.
    As it appears that they are keen to railroad a lot of people, attack may be the best form of defence. See if they have acted in accordance with company disciplinary procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      Why would your husband challenge his superior in this fashion? Is it normal practice to do so? What is company policy? Any documents?

Is it a 'fact finding' meeting or the full thing? If it's a full disciplinary hearing, then has there been any preliminary enquiry? Is your husband in a union? If so, this should be your first stop.

As nothing has as yet happened, there is nothing to appeal from.

As it appears that they are keen to railroad a lot of people, attack may be the best form of defence. See if they have acted in accordance with company disciplinary procedure.

Many thanks for the reply - he has had a hearing and is awaiting the notes, an investigation was done at the time but were looking at matters relating to his boss.

The company does not have a union, my husband is aware that another site manager may hold the disciplinary meeting and it is known to happen that they ask the instigators what outcome they want which i think may happen everywhere, so feels he faces a loosing battle for something he has not done intentionally and has 33 years of unblemished character. Age might also be a factor

Hopefully between us we have guided him to feel more prepared as he sees everyone in a good light and is not use to dealing with a hidden agenda.

Thanks again

Caronr

Comment

Now issued with a disciplinary on the grounds of gross misconduct -under the heading of company policy on cash handing 1) countersigning slips fore the manager, 2) safe keys issues 3) one instance banking was down and he had countersigned but admitted he did not double check the contents as the manager had done it.

He is aware he has failed in these circumstances but feels he was misled by his immediate manager who has now been dismissed.

Help anyone please

Comment

When you say he's been issued with a disciplinary, what do you mean? Has he been given a written warning or has he been given another disciplinary hearing that could lead to a warning/dismissal?
          Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonica View Post
            When you say he's been issued with a disciplinary, what do you mean? Has he been given a written warning or has he been given another disciplinary hearing that could lead to a warning/dismissal?
            he has had a notice of Disciplinary hearing (thursday 1st May) in regard allegations of his unprofessional conduct which could constitute gross misconduct. which i find strange as he is still in possession of building keys as he opens up and also has the safe key as well as being acting manager when the current manager is off at meetings.

Due to stress he has started having panic attacks which is an ongoing medical issue so is off on sick from today.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as Gross misconduct dismissal will stop him getting another job and also stops our mortgage protection paying out. in the 30 years of working he has never has his trust or integrity questioned.

Comment

How long has he suffered from panic attacks? Has he ever had a formal diagnosis of panic disorder from a doctor? Panic disorder could easily be classes as a disability. Make a note of the fact that they have questioned his honesty yet did not suspend him or take his keys away. Them not doing this would mean that they might not believe that he is dishonest but just want rid of him anyway.
              Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X