• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Investigation/constructive dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation/constructive dismissal

I am a nurse. I have had a lot of sick leave, but in the last 3-4 years my manager has to some degree manipulated this. For example, she asked my union rep to telephone me at home once to suggest I should go and see my GP and see if I should be signed off sick. I was coming towards the end of a three month period following sick leave on reduced hours (at my suggestion to show I could hold the post) and another member of staff allegedly put in a statement against me. I have not seen this statement, even though I asked to see it. I was told this was not appropriate. I have had nothing in writing of the alleged things I have done wrong. I have not been suspended from work. I was asked by my union rep to attend a meeting with an outside matron who had been put in charge of investigating the case. I did not get anything in writing about this meeting. At this meeting, the union rep said that this process would be very stressful for me and that I should get signed off sick by my GP, I have been off sick since this time, making my sickness record even worse. The statement I made was lost. Another meeting was called, again via my union rep and not in writing. This meeting was with my union rep and my matron. The statement I had made was on the desk. The date was obliterated by capital X repeatedly over it and there was no surname, just my Christian name. The statement was discussed and one part was not quite what I agreed with. The matron and rep also discussed at great length my sick record and whether I should remain in work. My matron wanted me to visit my GP and get her to put on a fit note if I was likely to remain sick for a year and, if so, dismissal procedures would commence. I was sent to the staff room to put the alterations I wanted to my statement and matron asked me to write a letter showing what I understood from the meeting. The union rep came with me and dictated this letter. She informed me that the investigation was going to panel and that the original statement I had made to the investigating matron had been forwarded. They had apparently, they informed the union rep, sent me a copy of the statement. I have received no correspondence like this. The union rep was asked if they should hold up the proceedings until I had seen my statement and she allegedly told them to proceed without it as the whole process had taken long enough (by now 6 months). I have since received an email conversation from the union rep and a lady in Human Resources discussing the date people could attend the panel meeting. This was then forwarded to me. I have not received any letter confirming this. I just do not know what to do. None of this appears to have been handled in a proper manner. I would like to resign from my job, but do not know if this would be viewed as an admittance of guilt.
    Tags: None

Re: Investigation/constructive dismissal

Their behaviour is appalling and your union representative hopelessly incompetent. Get another one - preferably an experienced full-time official. To do so, go direct to the Area, or if necessary, National, office.

Comment

Re: Investigation/constructive dismissal

What would you do if you resigned? Would you go down the constructive dismissal route? I really wouldn't do that if I were you. I would hold on if possible and see it through. Only 3% of constructive dismissal cases are successful and although you have been treated terribly, I don't think it would amount to a succesful claim for constructive dismissal.
      Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X