• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Verbal agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal agreement

I had a verbal agreement with my company`s old owners, in which they would look after the servicing and upkeep of my car, as part of my package.
    This has been honoured for the past 12 years or so.
    The company has recently been taken over, and it has become apparent that the new company were not made aware of this, although they have paid an invoice for a recent service to my car.
    I believe i am about to recieve a letter, stating that this "benefit" will cease, as it is unfair to others, and it does not fit in with the new companies policies.
    Obviousley i dont want to lose this arangement, but dont know where i stand. any ideas?
    Tags: None

Re: Verbal agreement

It has been going on for so long that it is now an integral part of your employment contract. If they want to terminate that arrangement, they will have to negotiate with you.

I assume that the car is used in some way for your employment.

Comment

As enquirer states the employer has to consult with you.

This is classed as an implied term of your contract, this cannot be varied without the agreement of both parties.

If they decide to remove the "benefit" then you it may be possible to claim constructive dismissal if the breach is considered by an employment tribunal to be fundamental and significant, or , you may choose to sue the company for breach of contract in a civil court.

The only way they can unilaterally impose this change is by serving you notice to terminate the contract and offering to re-employ you on the new terms. This in effect would be terminating your employment, for which you could bring a case of unfair dismissal if they did not follow procedures.

You may also be able to negotiate an alternative value benefit, such as increase in salary to the value, additional paid holidays, etc.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

As Enquirer and Tools have said, as its been an implied term of your employment contract for so long it is now an integral part of your contract. It can not be changed without your agreement. If they did try to change it, then you would have grounds for constructive dismissal for breach of contract. Though personally you would be better of taking the breach of contract to civil court whilst carrying on with your employment, but by informing the company you are working the new terms under protest or refuse to accept the change to your terms of employment. As constructive dismissal claims would require that you resigned.

And as Tools said, the only way they can force the change is by terminating your employment, and re-employ you on new terms which would be unfair dismissal. Which they are unlikely to try and do to be honest as it will backfire on them.

Under TUPE your contract and all written and implied terms transfers over to the new company whom MUST honor all previous terms of your employment contract. Failure to do so, or changing/removing a term without the employees consent, is breach of contract.

If the new company was not informed of the implied term, then they should take it up with the previous company for failing to disclose it to them, whilst still honoring the terms in your contract fully.

In the mean time, you should get all the paperwork regarding the car servicing that shows the previously paid for it, together and keep it safe. As it may prove invaluable to you, if needed in court.

Personally, i would, as hinted to by Tools, use this situation to negotiate a, pay rise in exchange for removing the term, so that you do not suffer any financial loss as a result.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Wow, thank you for your replies, I really had no idea, and thought I was just gonna have to roll over and take it.
          I have been informed that I will just get a letter telling me that the support will not continue, but I will update you as it comes.
          I have not paid any tax on the "benefit", is this likely to be thrown at me as a threat to tell the tax man for instance? I get a feeling I will be bullied into accepting the situation, the HR girl is apparently "out to get me ", I think out of jealousy of having a deal she wishes she had.
          Again, I am so grateful for your response.

Comment

As far as I can make out, there is no tax liability for you, if they were to pay a mileage allowance for fuel etc then yes it would apply, but not for repairs.

We have a similar scheme at work where three workshop supervisors receive the same benefit on their own personal vehicles and I know for a fact they are not taxed on this
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X