• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

dismissal within probationary period, can he do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dismissal within probationary period, can he do this?

Yesterday, I was working a full day, the whole day my manager was being very snappy with me and when my shift had finished he told me that he didn't wish to employ me anymore. I asked why and he replied, again all very aggressive and snappy, "you're not what I want for my business!" I questioned again, "why, what is it I have done wrong, what is it about me?" and his reply was "I don't need to give you a reason, give me your keys and go!". I had only worked there a week and I was still in a 3 month probationary period, can he do this?
    Tags: None

Re: dismissal within probationary period, can he do this?

Hi Jessie

Sorry to hear of your problem. Having worked for so short a time your rights are limted, however you should still have notice period, or pay in lieu of.

What kind of work were you doing? For what kind of company?
    Do you have a contract and terms ?
    Were you full time/part time?
    Had you left another job to take up this position?
    Did your manager discuss any issues with your work with you at all?
    Have you been paid for the work you have done?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

thankyou.

I was hired as a supervisor at a coffee shop, Meseta Capsule Coffee. it's the first shop of the company to open.
      We were all sat down to sign a contract , but the contract was never given to any of us, even in a copy, which I found quite odd. I do remember that it was if I wanted to leave, I would need to give a weeks notice, but I don't remember seeing anything of dismissal terms so I need to get hold of the contract and know for sure, however he could have changed it in belief of me taking the matter further. I am mainly scared of him denying my existence and not paying me for the work that I have done.

I was full time and I had a contract of 30 hours a week.

Luckily my job previous was a zero hour contract so I decided to stay on their books but not on the rota so have a fall back on, thankfully.

No, they never gave an official date of when they were paying us, no one really know the official date, one manager just said it was the 5th of every month, the contract said it would be 1 month in arrears, which from 16th of january, we should be paid in March? However, another manager again said, "no, you will all be paid on the 5th of February". I find it all very confusing. I have read that, with no notice of the dismissal, I should have been paid for a week in lieu, this was not offered or mentioned by the manager that dismissed me and no other managers had been informed of the planning of the dismissal.

He refused to say anything, the conversation was "I no longer wish to employ you", "why?" "you are not what i want", "why? is there anything I can reflect on? what was the specific problem?" "I need to have one, give me your keys and go and get another member of staff to bring your uniform in" It just all seems so odd and sudden, I understand it can be that he doesn't feel I fit in, but surely there must be feedback on that, I also understand the point of a probation period but again, without a complete utter no reflective reason at all and in to do it such a rude and nasty manner, surely he can't just smirk and wash his hands of me.

Comment

"i don't need to have one, Give me your keys and go" is what he said, sorry i made a typo

Comment

Originally posted by jessierae View Post
          Yesterday, I was working a full day, the whole day my manager was being very snappy with me and when my shift had finished he told me that he didn't wish to employ me any more. I asked why and he replied, again all very aggressive and snappy, "you're not what I want for my business!" I questioned again, "why, what is it I have done wrong, what is it about me?" and his reply was "I don't need to give you a reason, give me your keys and go!". I had only worked there a week and I was still in a 3 month probationary period, can he do this?
          Unfortunately, yes, unless you can shew it was due to gender or racial discrimination.

One might wonder if that so-called manager had been over sampling his products and had consequently imbibed several ristretos (thick expresso coffees) too many.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X