• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Reasonable management request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable management request

Hi, can anyone explain what is and what is not a "reasonable management request"? I have received a Final Written Warning for allegedly failing to carry out a reasonable management request. My argument has been that the request potentially puts me at risk from serious injury or death.
    cheers
    Tags: None

Re: Reasonable management request

Hi Lerxst and to Legal Beagles!

You need to give a little more detail (without personal info that would identify you) so that people can help effectively.

Comment

Thanks for your quick response, that could prove difficult as it would be easy to identify me. Any suggestions, could I pm you?

Comment

If the request is unreasonable in that it puts you at serious risk of injury or death then of course you should refuse, or assist in finding an alternative way of carrying out the request that suits all parties. To refuse a reasonable request could be judged as misconduct.

You mention you have received a Final written warning, have you received a prior warning and have you had a disciplinary hearing ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Lerxst View Post
          Thanks for your quick response, that could prove difficult as it would be easy to identify me. Any suggestions, could I pm you?
          Pm admin (amethyst etc) - they will both help and explain - I am not an expert and also pm-ing is not the LB way xx

Comment

No prior warning, straight to final. My employer does not acknowledge my concern even though I have evidence from manufacturers that make shall we say the "machinery"

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
              Pm admin (amethyst etc) - they will both help and explain - I am not an expert and also pm-ing is not the LB way xx
              thats great, not an expert perhaps, but very helpful, thank you

Comment

and have you had a disciplinary hearing ?

Also how long approx have you been employed by the firm ? (over two years for example)

Is the request part of your ordinary duties (trained/competent to carry out the task requested etc) or is it an extraordinary request ?

Has a documented risk assessment been carried out ? and would it contravene H&S regulations ?

PM me what you've been asked to do and then at least we do have an idea what we're talking about and can keep the help un-specific on the thread.

(trying to ask questions that could have vague enough answers and still help us help you)
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

You could write to appeal against your employer's decision to give you a Final written warning as soon as you can.

Start with specifying the management instruction.
                  Then, in as much detail as possible, describe all the potential risks and possible consequences to yourself and others if you had complied with the management instruction.
                  State that these were the reasons why you failed to comply.

You could quote the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
                  Specifically s.2(1) and as many parts of s.2(2) as you can.
                  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/section/2

Also, to demonstrate your own legal responsibility, use s.7(a)
                  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/section/7

A Final written warning is a detrimental act.
                  The Employment Rights Act 1996 provides protection for Health and safety cases.
                  See s.44(1)(c) & (e)
                  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/44

Comment

Thanks mariefab for the help, I will read these links you have posted.

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice, I recently won an appeal against the Final Written Warning which was revoked, I used advice given to me on this post to assist me. I now wish to take legal action against my employer for libel and defamation as lies were printed about me in several reports. These lies proved damaging as they were used by the desicion making officer to base his final desicion. I have proof regarding the lies in the form of a FOI subject access request. I would like to know how I would begin this procedure, I am already out of pocket as the £250 fee for the Employment Tribunal is non refundable. I am best paying a solicitor or is this something I could perhaps tackle myself. Again any advice given here would be extremely welcome.

Comment

Libel is notoriously difficult and expensive to litigate.

I wonder if you mightn't be better claiming both your expenses and loss of income (as a result of provable false statements) in the small claims court?

Others here will advise more knowledgeably

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I haven't really suffered any loss of earnings just many sleepless nights. I have read libel is difficult to prove I have been treated extremely bad and it doesn't seem right a manager can tell lies about me as well as make offensive remarks about me in an email without redress. Thanks for the advice though.

Comment

People say nasty things about others all the time at work. It's not right but it is not something to go to court over unless it has resulted in substantial financial losses to you.

Forget libel. It would not be worth your time, money or effort. If you really are determined to go down that route you should approach a libel lawyer and see if s/he will take on your case on a no win no fee basis. If they won't take your case then you probably don't have a case nomatter how wronged you feel. You cannot afford to allow emotion to cloud your judgement.
                            Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

You wouldn't stand a chance with the libel claim in any case, due to the statements not being made publicly to 3rd parties but in house (within the company) as part of a formal disciplinary.

You could off course issue grievances against those the made clearly obvious false statements, but it would only cause you more hassle and stress. So let it go, is the best advice i can give you.
                              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X