• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can this be added in to appraisal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be added in to appraisal?

Hi,

Background - I am a manager and at the beginning of 2013, placed an employee on a performance improvement plan, 2 weeks into this plan, employee breached DPA by e mailing customers account details to home e mail address. Employee went sick and raised a grievance against me.

I was never given sight of this grievance, 16 weeks later, I was asked to a meeting and answer questions, 4 hours later, I was thanked and advised I would hear about the outcome in due course.

I was exonerated, however, employee appealed and again I was questioned (34) in total. My peers, my staff and management were also interviewed along with HR.
    I asked to be informed of the outcome before I went on holiday, however, this was not given. Whilst on holiday, I e mailed and asked for the outcome and also to be referred to Occupational Health as I was so stressed, I had been asking for support throughout this process and none had been given, despite repeatedly advising I desperately needed this.

From start to end, the grievance process took 6 months.

The outcome was same, I was exonerated. Throughout this period, I have never been off sick and worked out with my job remit, improving process improvements and excelling in all areas.

I had a brief view of my mid year appraisal and my boss has written that due to stress affecting my health, he is marking me down! I am due to have gallbladder removed in 3 days! Not due to stress at work I don't think? Can this be written on my file as I was exonerated? Thoughts if this is fair to write this up formally would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Scuba1; 30th November 2013, 11:00:AM. Reason: More information
    Tags: None

Re: Can this be added in to appraisal?

Is it possible that some - perhaps unknown at the time - gallbladder related illness made you less able to cope with stress? if so, then this should be factored in.

On the other hand, he may have a point - if being complained about makes you go sick with stress, then are you really up to being a manager? Bear in mind that you were busy dishing it out to someone else earlier ...

Comment

To be clear, I haven't been off work with stress or any other illness. An employees actions that potentially had catastrophic results for customers with their data was serious in itself. If dishing out, you mean supporting someone through a performance improvement plan which, incidentally, was working, then yes, I dished out coaching, training and support. The grievance was found to be vexatious and defective in nature. So, should, after 6 months of waiting for the grievance to be concluded, be mentioned in my appraisal, if the other party will not have this mentioned in theirs?

Comment

Whilst on holiday, I e mailed and asked for the outcome and also to be referred to Occupational Health as I was so stressed, I had been asking for support throughout this process and none had been given, despite repeatedly advising I desperately needed this.
        You said it, and they are now taking it into account.

If dishing out, you mean supporting someone through a performance improvement plan ...
        Many would perceive being put on an 'improvement plan' as the preliminary to a disciplinary and possibly, dismissal. No doubt an adverse report from you would have had unpleasant consequences for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scuba1 View Post
          I had a brief view of my mid year appraisal and my boss has written that due to stress affecting my health, he is marking me down! I am due to have gallbladder removed in 3 days! Not due to stress at work I don't think?
          Your diet is more likely to cause gallstones.

Can this be written on my file as I was exonerated? Thoughts if this is fair to write this up formally would be greatly appreciated.
          I am astounded that your boss wishes to acknowledge that your workplace is more than ordinarily stressful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X