• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

withholding my pay due to an issue with bank details. please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• withholding my pay due to an issue with bank details. please help!

I started my employment on the 21st of October. I was meant to receive my first wage on the 22nd of November. On payday i checked my bank account to find i hadn't been paid. i rang my employer explaining what had happened and that i was unable to get into work without pay as i travel nine miles on a bus to get to work. i received a call back regarding payroll phone number and the employee number i would need. i had already called the bank and they had assured me that there was no payment into my account. i called payroll and explained, they passed me through to someone. they told me that i had put an incorrect number on my account number. the problem was i had put my account number as xxxxxxx3 when it was actually xxxxxxxx8. They then told me they need to have the payment rejected before they can resend the payment to my account, so i called my bank to find if that account number was actually account and would the payment be rejected. they told me it wasn't an account number so it should be instantly rejected. I then called my employer and explained that i still have no money and have no way if getting into work, to which i was told to 'just try and get yourself in'. As i was a new starter i decided my only option was to walk. knowing i would be late i attempted to let my employer know i would be late and set off. now as i said its nine miles to my workplace and it tool me two and a half hours to get there. o also had to walk a mile up the side of an A road. when i got there i was helped by a team manager who phoned to find out what the next step was. to which we were told they needed to wait for the rejected payment to come through on the Monday, the day of this being Friday.
    Monday came and i managed to get into work and asked what was happening, i was told it could take upto ten days for the payment to be rejected, meanwhile Im still being made to work and i have been told nothing else can be done.
    what are my rights? Im kinda struggling to eat atm as iv not been paid, Im also struggling to get into work because i haven't been paid. and everytime i ask the question i don't get any answers! Please help!

Also forgot to mention that i was hauled into a meeting at the end of the day the problem started. the meeting was to find out why i was late that morning...it was a 'fact finding meeting' but it was quite obviously a pre-disciplinary meeting, which i thought was extremely rich
    to which Im still to find out what is happening regarding me being late.
    Last edited by UndyingCarcass; 25th November 2013, 23:05:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: withholding my pay due to an issue with bank details. please help!

You have the right to be paid in accordance with your contract of employment, on the day/date agreed.

If the company fail to do this they may be breaking the law.

I understand this is of little consolation to you knowing you are struggling to meet living/traveling expenses but it appears it is a simple error not intentional. I would speak again to your line manager/HR/wages department, explain the situation, even if it means asking for a sub until your wage comes through which they can then deduct from your next months wage.

Keep us informed of any developments and feel free to ask anything else.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks for the reply i know its late. i asked if an interim payment could be made and they said nothing was possible until the rejection comes back from the bank. i spoke to the bank that morning and they assured me they had checked and that account number did not exist at tgats sort code. so it should have been sent straight back :/

Comment

In that case I would insist that they resend your pay immediately(tomorrow) and that they call their bank to cancel the mistaken payment. If they try to fob you off then subtly ask them if ACAS would be able to help you resolve it and do they have their phone number?

Is there anyone higher you could make a plea to, pointing out how unhelpful wages dept have been?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Funny you should mention ACAS as i was going to phone them in the morning. Im guessing that's my best bet. today iv sent the issue to the highest point in my department, Im hoping they will understand how this is a possible breach of contract and will rectify the issue. ill ring ACAS first thing and see how tomorrow pans out. thanks for the advice and ill report back tomorrow about any outcome. thanks again!

Comment

I recommend ACAS for any employment dispute, either as an employer or an employee, they are very good at what they do. Feel free to mention our recommendation and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by UndyingCarcass View Post
              Im hoping they will understand how this is a possible breach of contract and will rectify the issue.
              Is there a breach of contract?
              You gave them your bank details and they have made a payment to those details. The payment has failed due to you giving incorrect details.
              Have you asked your bank if they would be willing to give a temporary overdraft to help out if your employer is not willing to pay an advance to you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X