• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Any advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice please

Hi. This may seem quite long so apologies. I work for a well known electrical company and have done for 12 years. For the past 6 years I have been employed as a customer service advisor. Two years ago we introduced a new department within our store that also doubled up as a pc set up base but although this was where I was based I was still customer services, dealing with customer issues as in faulty goods, complaints etc.

On the department where 4 of us, 2 technicians and 2 customer services. As me and my other cs colleague where not pc trained there was not a lot of help we could give but we would help out where we could. The manager then decided to give us targets for selling services as in set ups, 24/7 help and advice, diagnose and fix etc, all the things that I and my colleague where not trained in. The company set a department target but our store manager set individual targets. These targets where extremely high, especially for 2 people who did not fully understand what could be done regarding the fixing of these pcs.

As a full time colleague my target was the same as the technicians but my knowledge way less. I asked numerous times to be shown how to do the jobs that they could do but this never happened. Bearing in mind my job of dealing with customers, customer issues, manufacturer issues, store issues and distribution issues was taking up my full time hours, some days I never managed to get a break, but this was my job so fair enough. However these targets where there and I was struggling to meet them. The manager then decided I needed to go on to a capability process where I was monitored over a 12 week period and given support where I needed to help reach my target. This process was meant to be reviewed every 4 weeks.

The first meeting took place and I voiced my concerns and was promised I would be supported. This never happened. Approx 8-10 weeks later I had my 2nd meeting, again broken poromises. eventually around 8 months later we got to stage 3, remember this was a 12 week process. The reason it went over the 12 week was because there was nobody else available that could do my customer service job due to lack of knowledge of process. Anyhow we got to 3rd stage. The day before this took place my manager took me to the office and we sat and had a chat about what could happen and he offered me a job on the sales floor in the home appliance dept, which due to there being a chance I may lose my job I took this new position. The next day after my hearing another manager, later on that day, took great pleasure in coming to inform me that had I not taken the new role I was going to be sacked. So they where going to sack me for not selling services but put me into a full time selling role. heres where the real fun starts.

I got a letter within 2 days from hr informing me of my new position with AN IMMEDIATE START, however the management team had to fing somebody to replace me and quick. He employed 2 new people but due to no customer service experience he left me with them for me to train to do the job I that I technically was going to be sacked for not being able to do. I eventually moved after 7 weeks to my new department.

Thought that was it didn't you, well no. I have now been informed today that any customer service issues that the new people are unable to do will be sent upstairs for me to sort as my knowledge is far greater than theirs. However my sales target for upstairs will not be reduced to compensate this, and as I said earlier these issues are continuous and some take several days to sort.

Can he do this to me, have I any rights whatsoever. I feel as though I am being used. how can you tell someone they are not good enough to do there job and then A) get them to train the new people and B) then say I have to deal with the issues anyway. My only problem was that I struggled to sell the services because I was not a technician and did not fully understand and not support was given. Sorry this is so long, please can somebody advise.

Pam
    Last edited by Tools; 19th October 2013, 23:20:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Any advice please

Hi Chippieb, no apology needed, I have split up your post into more manageable paragraphs.

To summarise, your store was given targets to which your manager divided up equally among the staff in that Dept.

These targets were for pc services outside the scope of your role as customer services/advisor.

You asked for training/support relevant to helping you meet these targets but despite several requests and meetings to discuss your failure to meet these targets, no training was given.

Subsequently you were offered a domestic appliances sales position which you accepted on the basis it was that or terminate your employment. Did the pc services position terminate contractually and a new contract begin for appliance sales, it is unclear from what you have written.

There seems to be a transition period of 7 weeks where you had to train 2 other employees to do your old role of pc services (for which you were untrained) before you started the new role in domestic appliances. Is this correct or were you doing both simultaneously?

Once your new role in sales of appliances started, you were then told that any customer service/complaint issues the two new employees received (for pc`s) would be passed to you to deal with, even though you no are no longer employed in that section, which will/is affecting your new sales targets set for home appliances.

Have you received a new contract for your new role setting out your duties and targets etc?

I gather you have already pointed out that dealing with additional customer issues from the PC dept takes time and will/has affected your new sales targets?

Are you being pressured down on your targets or are you managing to reach them currently? If not are you being pressured?
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi Chippieb,

Do you have separate line management for the different departments?

Who (& at what management level within the hierarchy) has determined that you carry out duties which (presumably) are not expected of your 'new' comparator colleagues on the sales floor?

Do you have these instructions re your requirement to train/sort out issues (relating to your previous role & the new recruits) in writing?

Obviously there are going to be pressures & demands at work (to increase sales, productivity etc.)
      Unfortunately this can have a dark side.
      Target-driven policies can often lead to unacceptable bullying (or worse), especially when line management is also under a similar requirement to achieve targets.
      It may be a help to contact these folk - http://www.bullying.co.uk/bullying-at-work/
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi there.

Thank you for replying to me.

The company set store targets for these services, of which as a team we managed weekly. However our store manager decided he was going to split into individual targets, which added up to more that the company target, by the way. However my target as a customer service advisor was the same as the technician targets, unfair as they only had to deal with pc issues and not other issues as stated in my earlier note.

My new role as sales was supposed to be reduced also to a 30hr contract from a 39hr contract of which I was not happy as it meant losing 36hrs a month, cant afford that. However my new department manager has not changed my contract as he feels that is unfair so I am still on a customer service 39 hr contract, I think. I have not had or seen or definitely not signed a new contract.

As far as training the new colleagues I was left at the cs dept to do this and did not take up my sales role till 2 weeks ago. It was after a lot of fuss that I felt I was being unfairly treated that I was able to move with the help of my new line manager, who I must say has been an amazing support.

The issues I will be receiving to deal with are customer issues, as in faulty goods, failed deliveries etc. Not pc, thank god.

In my new dept I have targets to reach also and dealing with issues in what is to be our buisiest period coming up is, I feel, going to have a huge impact on my target as I cant do two jobs at once.

I understand that there is always going to be pressure in any sales job, but I honestly feel that what they have done to me and made me feel is wrong. Why am I saying they, it is just our store manager who has done this.

Oh I forgot to mention, my other colleague who was in the same boat has had her process stopped because it got back to the store manager that I was going to seek advise as I felt I was unfairly treated.

He is a power driven bully and these are the words used by nearly all of the colleagues within the work place. It is making going to work really hard.

Guys thank you for reading my post, I really do appreciate your advise.

Pam x

Comment

Hi again

Sorry I forgot to add that during this whole process he never got involved once, except for the chat the day before. He always left it to my old line manager. However he did say because I was told by my old line manager, brace yourself " I AM NOT GOING TO GET INVOLVED IN ANY OF THIS, HOWEVER IF SHE WANTS TO MAKE SOMETHING OF IT THEN I WILL COME DOWN ON HER" As I said controlling bully.

Thanks

Pam x

Comment

Oh once again. Each time a capability stage meeting was arranged you are meant to receive a letter from HR. My 2nd stage was sent to me from my line manager as a message on facebook, which I have by the way.

Sorry im going on

Pam x

Comment

Hi, er.....Chippieb or Pam?,

More questions, sorry!

From post #1, you state it is a well-known company, so I presume there are other outlets.

Just to clarify, what is the 'normal' position re targets, individual or team?

Are there any other outlets that have individual targets?
              (I'm wondering where your store manager has obtained the authority to set individual targets.)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Your post #6 is quite relative if your case ever went to a tribunal, and although it may cause more hassle for you, it could be used as leverage as a bargaining tool to balance your workload at the minute.

I would put your concerns to your new department manager once again and subtly mention that you never received correct notice of your 2nd meeting other than a Facebook message, and you have been advised you may well need a copy of that at some time in the future. Screenshot the Facebook message beforehand and save it in case they later delete it.

What notice were you given of the other meetings ? Were these actually classed as disciplinary or or they something that occurs with everyone struggling to meet their targets as a "pep talk".

You also need to request your new contract, it officially started as soon as you accepted your new offer of employment in the alternative role. You are entitled to receive a written statement of the main terms and conditions within two months which should include your pay, hours, holidays. It may be that you you are still employed under your old contract with mutually agreed variations, try to find out which.

If you ask these questions they will be well aware you have sought advice, in my experience this will either get them to play ball or play hard ball, it is the chance you take I`m afraid.

Keep us informed of your progress.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X