• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

my rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my rights?

Hi All,

Future Son in Law started work for present company in Feb 2008 as an apprentice plumber, he qualified 2 years after starting and is still on the same salary as when he started. He has never received a contract and is currently working for £4ish per hour (he is 25 years old and works on average 50 hours per week). He wants to push for a pay rise as he and my daughter are saving to get married. He was promised a pay rise on qualifying, which has not happened. He has asked previously, but is always told that the company can't afford it at the moment. The company has recently taken on a Secretary who is on over double his wages each week, which seems very unfair given the reasoning behind not being given a raise.

He would like to know where he stands if he decides to take it further as what he is being paid doesn't anywhere near meet living standards or minimum wage, and also what he can quote to strengthen his case when asking for the pay increase.

Thanks,

Kit
    One life - Live it!
    Tags: None

Re: my rights?

Hi Kitiara,

There is no legal obligation for the company to provide a written contract of employment, but he should have received a statement of employment particulars within 2 months of commencing work.
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-contra...nt-particulars

Is he still working as an apprentice, or is he expected to work under his own initiative (with the responsibility for work undertaken by him)?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: my rights?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/payro...ctions/nmw.htm
      Current national minimum wage rates

There are currently three aged based national minimum wage rates and an apprentice rate, which are usually updated in October each year. The rates that apply from 1 October 2013 are as follows:
      • for workers aged 21 years or more: £6.31 per hour
      • for workers aged 18 to 20 inclusive: £5.03 per hour
      • for workers aged under 18 (but above compulsory school age): £3.72 per hour
      • for apprentices aged under 19: £2.68 per hour
      • for apprentices aged 19 and over, but in the first year of their apprenticeship: £2.68 per hour

Apprentices aged 19 or over who have completed one year of their apprenticeship are entitled to receive the national minimum wage rate applicable to their age.
      See more information on the national minimum wage rates for earlier years on the GOV.UK website by following the link below

http://National minimum wage entitle...ns new window)
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X