• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Facebook comments and HR investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook comments and HR investigation

Hello all - I will try and make this issue clear and succinct and look forward to comments and advice.

Background - Employed since June 2012 and not without issue - the position I accepted was heavily overadvertised (in that the work was not really there - it had been put together to assist and was a mixture of odds and sods - at management admission) and within 2 months of being there I realised there was some issues with the workplace. I was put in the firing line of my line manager and another colleague with Mental health issues who was very bullying, wouldnt help with my training (it wasnt her job) and generally made the workplace very unwelcoming. Well documented and know to HR but attidtude of management was they couldnt do anything (seemed they were scared of her disability status).My line manager who left shortly afterwards brought a grievance against her but as he left he dropped the case. I then took over all his responsibilities bar line management but had to fight for 7 months to be paid correctly. It was supposed to be a temp situation but due to the fact it took them 6 months to get someone else in place I went from being underworked to overworked and without the backing/training needed. In April of this year my GP wanted to sign me off with stress but I had found a new position, albeit reluctantly as I had chosen this work as my first step to what I thought was a career path following having children and enjoyed dealing with the clients and other staff, none of whom wanted to see me leave as were happy with my work etc. I held discussions with my new manager who admitted the issues and advised they would make changes to my role so I decided to stay, though they were aware my Gp had prescribed meds and I was and am still receiving work provided counselling. Unfortunately this didnt happen - they took all the challenging and 'important' work out and I was left in the same position, causing me more stress as I had turned another position down and was now left with only 10-20% of my working day with work to do (and an hour commute each way to do it). Management responded by passing more one off bitty jobs to me and admitting they knew there was a problem but couldnt do anything. Whilst all this is incidental to my situation now I wanted to give the background.

My problem now is due to frustration, boredom and anger I posted some comments on Facebook bemoaning my fate (eg bored, what am I going to do at work today, just back off a weeks annual leave to 28 emails and most are wowcher) which some kind soul has taken the time to trawl through my friends of friends set timeline, screen shot and print off. Unfortunately they have also decided to go back to April when I was at loggerheads with the Child Support Agency and found a status where I lambast public sector management. Clearly my public sector employers have decided this is about them and decided I am bringing them into disrepute. They have of course taken it out of context and not printed many of the other similar comments made at the same time which do mention the CSA.

Whilst I can see the comments were stupid and purely jokes made to friends, another factor to add to the melee is I handed my notice in 2 days prior to my managers presenting me with the paperwork so I am in my notice period, however they are now doing a full HR investigation and mention was made that they would not write me a reference until it is completed. My new job offer is of course contigent on satisfactory references and whilst I am fully prepared to apologise if they feel I have brought them into disrepute I do feel strongly that I should be able to state my case and this will take as much time as my notice period.

Does anyone have any comments or advice (other than I should think carfully next time before having a water coller whinge on line!). Happy to clarify any ponts
    Thanks all
    Tags: None

Re: Facebook comments and HR investigation

Originally posted by jorainbow
    ... I posted some comments on Facebook [...] which some kind soul has taken the time to trawl through my friends of friends set timeline, screen shot and print off.
    Prattbook and Twatter are public forums.

If however you could trap them into admitting that they have been consistently monitoring your personal internet usage (you posted from home, presumably), that might amount to harrassment.

Unfortunately they have also decided to go back to April when I was at loggerheads with the Child Support Agency and found a status where I lambast public sector management. Clearly my public sector employers have decided this is about them and decided I am bringing them into disrepute.
    Public sector ... are you a member of UNISON or other Trade Union? If so, contact them at once.

They have of course taken it out of context and not printed many of the other similar comments made at the same time which do mention the CSA.
    If you can show that they have deliberately taken it out of context, then they really won't be able to make much of it. Quite the reverse in fact.

...and mention was made that they would not write me a reference until it is completed.
    The must at least acknowledge your employment.

My new job offer is of course contigent on satisfactory references ...
    If their refusal were to cause you to forfeit this position, and to thereby occasion loss, you might have a claim against them.

Comment

Originally posted by jorainbow View Post
      Hello all - I will try and make this issue clear and succinct and look forward to comments and advice.

Background - Employed since June 2012
      This is the thorny bit.

https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/what-to...oure-dismissed
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks both. Some posted at home so on way to work on kindle or at lunch. Will be speaking to unison rep this week. I don't want to start any claiming to be honest just want to put the whole experience behind me as its been a stressful and exhausting 18mths. Stupidity on my part ending it badly.

Comment

[QUOTE=enquirer;375312]Prattbook and Twatter are public forums.

If however you could trap them into admitting that they have been consistently monitoring your personal internet usage (you posted from home, presumably), that might amount to harrassment.

They hadn't been consistently monitoring. My manager advised it was done my another colleague who was not happy I was advertising I was quiet when they were so busy. They did it they day I announced I was leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by jorainbow View Post
            Thanks both. Some posted at home so on way to work on kindle or at lunch. Will be speaking to unison rep this week. I don't want to start any claiming to be honest just want to put the whole experience behind me as its been a stressful and exhausting 18mths. Stupidity on my part ending it badly.
            Best avoid those social network sites.

As a matter of fact, I don't go on the internet at all!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Don't put on Facebook what you don't want others to see its a public forum

Comment

This is also a public forum... and can be read by any members who comes here. So just beware what is said on an open forum. We do have a VIP area more confidential stuff can be discussed.
                But as long as you keep your identity and the name of the company you work for secret they cannot tie this thread to you.

I also called a well known bank morons and they linked that comment back to me - so just beware.
                Last edited by TUTTSI; 29th September 2013, 15:44:PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I have learned a valuable lessopn and will only be discussing the merits of my local farm shop versus supermarkets (un-named of course!) in future. As my partner said today common sense would be to just let it go as I am leaving anyway , it'll blow over and not worth the worry - todays newspaper is tomorrows chip wrapper.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X